Misha canīt raise her tail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misha canīt raise her tail

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultMisha canīt raise her tail

Last night when I got back home I noticed that Misha cannot raise her tail and wag is normally. She keeps it low (like when sheīs relaxed) and when she wags it is in a low position and very softly. Other than that she seems normal, playful with Homer, running etc.

Back when I had my Great Dane she broke her tail twice but it was the tip, I felt Mishaīs tail and it feels OK, I donīt think she could have broke her tail on the base, that would be strange...

Anyone experienced something similar? I know thereīs not much that can be done but Iīll still take her to the vet later this evening, Iīm just worried because I remember reading somewhere that there is a desease in labs where their tails become rigid and loose their movement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Misha canīt raise her tail

Thanks so much

Mishaīs tail looks exactly like dog on the drawing, the base is straight and then it bends down. She can wag her but lightly. Iīll print this info and show it to the vet. Iīm trying to find causes... this weekend I didnīt take the dogs with me moutain biking and they swam a lot but it was more than 10 days ago (water was very cold probably). I brushed her on sunday and I did hold her tail tightly to brush it, but didnīt pull it or hurt her at all (at least not that I noticed, she didnīt react either).

Also yesterday the weather changed abruptly, we had a wonderful warm weekend and yesterday was horrible, it started raining early morning while we were out running and she probably laid on the wet floor of my garage throughout the morning.

You know is this condition is prevalent (i.e. it will start happening frequently?)

Thanks again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

no need to go to the vet. She'll be fine. If she's in pain, give her a buffered asprin and lots of rest.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

It usually goes away in 3-5 days. Belle used to get it a lot, but has not in about 5-6 years now.

Just talked to the vet over the phone, he told me it will go away by itself in 2-3 days and if it doesnīt then heīll check her.

Told me to give her 1/2 dose of rimadyl (which she took for sometime when she was a pup because of pano)

Thanks all

labby is offline Senior Member

You might want to read this about Rimadyl and Labs.

http://www.labbies.com/rimady.htm

I won't use it unless the dog cannot be helped by anything else, even short term.

Laura

I appreciate it. I know it has some risks but they happen to a very small % of dogs. Because Misha had to take it for a while because of pano, I already know she doesnīt react negatively to it, and Iīll only give it to her for a couple days.

As weird as it may sound, thanks to Rimadyl I was able to keep my Brownie for at least 4 more years (she unfortunately had bilateral hip dysplasia so there were no other options as she was already 9 at that time).

If I see improvement sooner Iīll discontinue the medicine right away...

Just an update

Tail almost back to normal, sheīs wagging it a lot but still canīt raise it fully. She doesnīt seem to have any discomfort. discontinued the medicine today..

A lab without a happy tail is not a lab, glad to see her again!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow
    As weird as it may sound, thanks to Rimadyl I was able to keep my Brownie for at least 4 more years (she unfortunately had bilateral hip dysplasia so there were no other options as she was already 9 at that time).
    You had no choice in that instance. I've used it when the choice is either Rimadyl or death for the dog because it's in pain. That's not the case with cold tail. However, it's your dog and if you want to run the risk despite known problems between rimadyl and Labs then that's your choice.

I'm glad she's doing better, regardless.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast