Anyone swtich from Orijen to Kirkland (Costco)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone swtich from Orijen to Kirkland (Costco)?

DefaultAnyone swtich from Orijen to Kirkland (Costco)?

My wife and I were discussing making a switch for our two year old lab's food. From Orijen regular formula (dark blue bag) to a Kirkland brand food. This is for a couple reasons. One, the store where we buy the Orijen is a few towns away and we don't get home from work early enough to go during the week and it's closed on Sundays, so if forget to go on the Saturday we need to wait another week. Also, the store a lot of times will only have the medium size bags which means we're either spending more for the same amount by buying two or three medium bags rather than one large one. Lastly, the Orijen is expensive. At $58 for a large bag, I think the Kirkland stuff is half the price. But honestly, price isn't really an issue. It's mostly about the convenience.

What does the community think of this potential switch. Bad for the dog?

Dog stats:

DOB: November 19, 2006
    65 lbs
    very healthy
    Goes by names of: Cooper, Stinky and "cut the sh!t"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone swtich from Orijen to Kirkland (Costco)?

If you want to switch, that's fine...time will tell if he does well on kirkland. If he's doing well on Orijen and the only issue is convenience, there are a number of places you can order it from and have it delivered right to your doorstep. They even have autoship so you won't forget I've ordered from both www.k9cuisine.com and www.heartypet.com and was happy with both.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If the dog is doing good on Orijen and you have no other reason to switch other than convenience, buy more at a time. Buy 2 bags each time.

Kirkland is a different food. Orijen tends to have more protein in it. The dog could do better or worse, and you won't know. Our actually are doing VERY well on the Kirkland Lamb & Rice. For us, $$ is a concern as we have 5, but since we are getting great results on it, we will stick to it for awhile.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I checked the Orijen website trying to find its kcals/cup or kcals/kg but didn't see it listed; you could e-mail or call them to find out.

Puff eats Kirkland Ch, Vegs & Rice and it's 393 kcals/cup, 3754 kcals/kg. I suspect the Orijen has more kcals per cup/kg so if you switch, you'd need to adjust amounts.

I prefer the Kirkland Chicken to their Lamb because fewer rice items are listed in the ingredients.

Puff eats 1 cup of straight kibble at breakfast but also gets about 2 TBS of Craisins (dried, sweetened cranberries) and a dried apricot at the same time I'm also adding those to my steel cut oats before cooking.

And at supper, Puff gets a Kirkland tablet of 1500 mg Glucosamine with 1200 mg Chondroitin and a Kirkland capsule of 1,000 mg Fish Oil (each smeared with dollops of peanut butter to insure swallowing). Also a slice of frozen salmon (about half the size of a normal bacon slice) in water in her food dish is microwaved to cook, then 2/3 -3/4 cup of cooked frozen green beans are added + 1 cup of kibble.

This is by way saying that one is not limited to only feeding Kirkland or anything else -- it can always be supplemented as you may wish.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Supplementing is a good idea. I'd also like to give him some variety. Right now he gets 3 regular sized kongs (2 morning and 1 when the dog walker leaves) stuffed with kibble and topped with either melted American cheese or peanut butter (both of which are frozen before he receives them). Then at dinner he gets 1 1/2 cup of the Orijen with some water in it to slow him down and soften it up a bit.

I think total he eats about 2 3/4 - 3 cups of Orijen daily which is right inline with the recommended serving size on the bag.

I'm sad to say that Costco food for puppies caused our dog to have very loose stools. He's been on it for over a month, and it's not getting better...

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    If you want to switch, that's fine...time will tell if he does well on kirkland. If he's doing well on Orijen and the only issue is convenience, there are a number of places you can order it from and have it delivered right to your doorstep. They even have autoship so you won't forget I've ordered from both www.k9cuisine.com and www.heartypet.com and was happy with both.
    I've started using both of these places that Nicole mentioned. I have found I can order Eagle Pack from here and have it delivered cheaper than I can buy it locally. I was driving about 10 miles to get it and they kept increasing the price...that plus my gas getting there....I just hope these two places keep the prices/delivery down so I can continue it.

I previously fed Kirkland and my guys did fine with it. Dutch needed something different and it's easier for me to skip the $100 trips to Costco (I can't resist) and feed everyone the same thing.

I just checked www.k9cuisine.com and www.heartypet.com

K9cuisine was $10 more p/bag than I pay now. Heartypet was almost spot on. And to be honest we'd probably save money going that route because whether it's my wife or I who goes to the store, the dog always gets a new box of treats or a 3 ft bully stick.

Quote Originally Posted by sixdoubleseven
    I just checked www.k9cuisine.com and www.heartypet.com

K9cuisine was $10 more p/bag than I pay now. Heartypet was almost spot on. And to be honest we'd probably save money going that route because whether it's my wife or I who goes to the store, the dog always gets a new box of treats or a 3 ft bully stick.
    sign up for their emails and order only when they have a "shipping" special. You save 50% most times. It only cost me $6.00 to have 60lbs. of EP shipped right to the front door! I've paid more than than for a box of Heartworm preventative to be shipped!!!

Just found out another shop just started to carry Orijen... and it's open till 8:00 pm during the week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast