OutSiders........
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OutSiders........

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultOutSiders........

For us unfortunate ones that have to keep their dogs outside, I'd like to know what everyone uses for bedding. My two live in a barn stall with wood flooring in their room, but it still gets very cold. I was using straw for years, but the dust is just terrible. Any suggestions would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OutSiders........

If you're going to leave your dog outside, you should provide them with a dog house so they can heat it with their body warmth. Just being in an open stall wouldn't provide enough warmth I don't think even with straw or any other type of bedding.

Laura

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

The best dog house I've found is the indigo igloo dog house get the X long front it keeps more heat in. http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_631616...g_home_reviews My guys are not outside but I helped a freind find a good dog house.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I never thought of that. I usally pile 2 bales of straw in their stall and they burrow out a hole and love it. But, as you said, there is nothing like keeping body heat in! The only downfall is that one lab is 109lbs and his mom is 84lbs and I'm pretty sure they would need to sleep together like always. Might have a hard time finding one that big, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    I never thought of that. I usally pile 2 bales of straw in their stall and they burrow out a hole and love it. But, as you said, there is nothing like keeping body heat in! The only downfall is that one lab is 109lbs and his mom is 84lbs and I'm pretty sure they would need to sleep together like always. Might have a hard time finding one that big, ya think?
    build one.

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Buddy's not outside at night, but most of the time he is during the day, as he goes to our farm every day with his "dad". My husband built him a very nice house and we use a Hound Heater in it. It works great! Keeps the house at least 50 degrees during the coldest weather and is safe. Made by Akoma Dog Products. You can check them out at www.houndheater.com

When he went to training, I noticed they used wood shavings for bedding in the dog crates there.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Our outside dog will NOT get in her doghouse

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I don't think it would be too hard to just build one (and probably WAY cheaper, too.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Good Idea
    Attached Images Attached Images

patm is offline Senior Member

Try this website - http://www.doghouseplans.com/

We actually bought some plans and were going to have a local man make them for my 2 dogs - Skippy is 110 lbs and I really couldn't find a doghouse big enough for him - he needs a little more room because of his leg surgeries. You can make them any size, for 2 or 3 dogs - really nice houses. We only keep ours out during the day when we aren't there - we actually bought 3 playhouses from Lowes and customized them by adding foam board insulation and putting plastic in the windows. I just use a large dog bed in the house.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast