Ok, Food time and more questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, Food time and more questions

blacktri99 is offline Member

DefaultOk, Food time and more questions

Ok, Food time and more questions.
    I had Tex and Austin on ProPlan and their coats and skin just did not look or feel right, Dry and Flakey coats. So I switched them to Science Dietís Natureís Best, as the ingredients were better than the ProPlan I felt pretty good about feeding them the better food. (I Know a lot of you are Biased against SD) and it has helped, Their coats are soft and shiny and also their skin looks better, however they do not have hard poops ,
    I have been trading emailís with the Diamond folkís (Their DVM on staff) and she has been very helpful and has offered me advise on which of their foods to feed,
    My question to you all is Should I stay on the Science Diet (They have been on it for 2 months now) and hope that their poops will firm up more or switch them to Diamond Naturalís.?
    Also What is your opinionís of Diamondís food and quality?
    Jim dad to
    Tex (Golden/Lab Mix)
    and Austin (100% Lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

You could try adding some fiber to the SD and see if that helps firm the poops up (canned plain pumpkin works best, start with a spoonful at dinner).

Personally, I'm not a fan of SD, but if it is otherwise working for your dogs I would try the pumpkin first.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would try the diamond, personally. 2 months is a fair shake to see if a food is really "working" or not, and if they continue to have poor BMs I'd say that it's most definitely not working.

Besides, Diamond makes a better product than SD, it's a win-win.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacktri99 is offline Member

Okay since I am going to change foods off of SD, in researching the different foods and labels, not including reading all the companies websites, I am looking for several foods, I would love to have opinions on these:

Diamond Naturals
    Chicken Soup
    Wellness Super5
    Innova
    Blue Buffalo

I am leaning to the Diamond or Kirkland but i am looking for real life experience.
    Jim dad to
    Tex (Golden/Lab Mix)
    and Austin (100% Lab)

When I researched puppy food for Riley, breeder had him on SD and I had problems feeding him this, I contacted Diamond. They said that the fish meal in there products did have ethoxyquin in it because it was the law (had to be preserved with it), however they said that most of it was cooked out? Here is what she said about it:

"Most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on Diamond products. The results are typically less than 2.5ppm. The amount allowed, and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm."

Because I was not comfortable with the ethoxyquin content I went with Innova and then switched to Solid Gold Wolf Cub because Riley refused to eat the Innova.

Hope this helps.
    Robin

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Chicken Soup is made by the same company that makes Diamond Naturals, Kirkland, Taste of the Wild, and many other brands.

Puff eats Kirkland C&R&V which has a very similar formula to Diamond Naturals. We're happy with it. Good coat, good skin.

Firmness of poop (IMO) can be affected by other things than food composition, length of time between poops, for instance. My Puff poops around 6:30 AM, at 2 PM, and at 10 PM. Her morning poops are always firm; poops at other times less so.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Of the ones you listed I would go with Innova.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Of the ones you listed I would go with Innova.
    Yes or, made by the same parent company (Natura) I would go with EVO so long as neither of them are puppies.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Are there any opinions out there on Eukanuba Labrador Retriever? I am the one that posted the vegeterian thread a few days back and I just recently bought some of the Euk to start switching them over. Anyone hear anything bad about this?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by utswmer View Post
    Are there any opinions out there on Eukanuba Labrador Retriever? I am the one that posted the vegeterian thread a few days back and I just recently bought some of the Euk to start switching them over. Anyone hear anything bad about this?
    IMO - making a food specifically for Labs is a marketing ploy. The nutritional needs of a Lab are not different than any other mid/large breed. For thinking consumers are suckers, I would not use it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast