Dont hate me . . . . . another vaccination question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont hate me . . . . . another vaccination question

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultDont hate me . . . . . another vaccination question

I know this topic has been posted on tons of times, but I'm still confused after reading previous posts. I've contacted some vets (still havent found one yet) and I'm getting conflicting information regarding what vaccinations Bailey needs. So, don't hate me for asking again, but can someone please tell me what vaccinations Bailey needs? He is 4 1/2 and he's been given annual vaccinations all his life. I want to switch him to the three year plan. His rabies vaccination isn't due until October 2009, so I don't need to worry about this one. But, I'm unsure about the others.

His last vaccinations included Bordetella and DHPPC. Do I need to continue him on these annual vaccinations, or can these been given in longer intervals like the rabies? How often does he need these vaccinations? Are there others I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dont hate me . . . . . another vaccination question

You need to do whatever you feel is best. If you are going to go on the 3 year plan, you need to have Bailey titered for his vaccinations to determine the level of protection. If he's not adequately protected, then he should be revaccinated. Titering can be expensive depending. Fortunately for me, it wasn't very much and I will have Rider and Rookie titered again in the spring. Your vet may try and talk you out of it, or charge a crap load to deter you from this. If you are really wanting to do it, you must push for it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

lablover88 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    You need to do whatever you feel is best. If you are going to go on the 3 year plan, you need to have Bailey titered for his vaccinations to determine the level of protection. If he's not adequately protected, then he should be revaccinated. Titering can be expensive depending. Fortunately for me, it wasn't very much and I will have Rider and Rookie titered again in the spring. Your vet may try and talk you out of it, or charge a crap load to deter you from this. If you are really wanting to do it, you must push for it.
    So, I have two options: (1) revaccinate for the Bordetella the DHPPC or (2) get the titer testing to see whether he needs either vaccination? You're right on the expense..........the cost of the titer nearly quadrupled the cost of the vaccination itself. How often do your dogs need revaccinated (based on the titer tests)?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

How often do your dogs need revaccinated (based on the titer tests)?
    I work for a holistic vet. It is very rare (but happens) that we need to revaccinate. We start titers on dogs and cat after the puppy and kitten vaccines. Does Bailey go to the kennel or doggie day care? If not he does not need the bordetella vaccine. None of my dogs have ever had the bordetella vaccine and they go to lots of show and to the dog club for training all the time knock on wood no one has gotten sick or coughing.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/CanineTiters.htm
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...revention.html
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...titer_test.htm
    Alicia

My vet gives an actual 3 year DHLPP shot. My guys got vac'd in 2005 and are getting stuck again this year. I've always done rabies once/year, however, this year we also went with the 3 year rabies shot. I don't do the bordatella. I don't think you need to titre if you are giving the 3 year shot every 3 years. If Bailey is 4-1/2 and has vac's every year up until now, I personally wouldn't give another one until 3 years from the date of his late DHLPP. But that is ME....Testing has shown the shots last 3+ years....but there there is an ACTUAL 3 year shot. Like Dani said, you have to do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to go ahead and vac. this year, I'd ask for the 3 year shot.

The 3yr combo shot is actually the same as the 1yr combo shot (same with rabies)...although some vets do charge differently. Now that I have a herd, I vaccinate them myself, except for rabies of course, and I give the distemper combo every three years. I do give lepto annually because of living in the country now and my dogs swim in strange waters. The vet gives rabies every three years. I don't titre for anything and I stopped giving bordatella years ago, although I understand if you board/daycare your dogs you'll need to do it.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree that it's the same shot, ridiculous that some vets charge more, sheesh. :whatever:

I do puppy shots, one year boosters, then rabies every three years (because it's required by law) and titre for distemper/parvo yearly, boosting if needed.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

It's a labeled 3-year shot.
    http://www.intervetusa.com/products/...130_113873.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Agree that it's the same shot, ridiculous that some vets charge more, sheesh. :whatever:
    What's the name of the one you give?

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    The 3yr combo shot is actually the same as the 1yr combo shot (same with rabies)...although some vets do charge differently. Now that I have a herd, I vaccinate them myself, except for rabies of course, and I give the distemper combo every three years. I do give lepto annually because of living in the country now and my dogs swim in strange waters. The vet gives rabies every three years. I don't titre for anything and I stopped giving bordatella years ago, although I understand if you board/daycare your dogs you'll need to do it.
    What she said.

Laura

I do for Henery the same as what Kate (Baloo317) does.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I do puppy shots, one year boosters, then rabies every three years (because it's required by law) and titre for distemper/parvo yearly, boosting if needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast