Bare sore on Tucker's leg

Thread: Bare sore on Tucker's leg

DefaultBare sore on Tucker's leg

Hello everyone. Tucker has this spot on the front top of his leg that is kind of irritated. It wasn't that bad at the beginning of the week but every night I can here him licking it forever. Now most of the hair on it has been licked off and its quite red and irritated. I plan on bringing him to the vet this next week but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. He has been eating Innova Large Breed food for a couple months now. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bare sore on Tucker's leg

It's hard to say without seeing a pic, but if something isn't done to stop the cycle, he'll wind up making a lick granuloma. Might want to let your vet take a look.

What he has definitely looks like the beginning stages of those. It hasn't lost all of its hair yet but its definitely red and irritated. He is going to the vet today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So I have been reading a bunch about lick granulomas and some say its psychological some say its possible it could be an allergy of some sort. I am hoping that this is an allergy obviously, we switched his food about a month ago from a grain free food with grain. It is actually from Evo Red Meat to Innova Large Breed. The reason for this was because he didn't seem to like the red meat, he would eat it when he wanted sometimes every other day.
    Some of the articles I read suggested boredom. Tucker is in his crate from 8-12 at which time my wife is home for lunch and brings him out side and throws a frisbee with him and throws the chuck it. This is probably for 20 minutes or so, then she has lunch he is back in the crate after an hour. She comes home about 4:30. She takes him for a walk for about 30 minutes to an hour. A few times per week I come home and play fetch with him after work but now that its getting darker and darker at night those times are limited. Do you think he gets enough exercise? Is food possibly a cause?
    On a side possibly related note I brought him to the dog park and he never wants to play with any of the dogs there. He would much rather go far away from them and find a big spot of mud to dig in. It sounds like there are some obsessive tendancies, I am not sure how those can be overcome. We are looking into take some more obedience classes, training him for hunting/hunt tests, and additional exercise. Any ideas? Has anyone been sucessful with overcoming this?

Tucker went to the vet. They don't believe its ALD, they think its due to some bug or flea bite. They gave him some antibiotics, steroids, and a numbing spray. So I was pleased when my wife called with the news.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Just make sure you keep an eye on it, because some dogs will keep licking it even after any irritation is gone. This usually happens when the irritation has been somewhat long-standing. When they lick it, their body releases endorphins, which are opioids. Basically, for some dogs the licking gets them high, and they get kind of addicted. So it can turn into an obsessive-compulsive behavior and those dogs may need different treatment.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.