Apparently,

Thread: Apparently,

DefaultApparently,

Buddy (my recently acquired 10 year old obese Choco lab) did not have any heartworm meds since summer 2007. My vet said I could either wait until next year (since a HW test would not detect anything he got this summer), or start giving him HW meds now (being careful in the first 24 hours and watching for an anaphalatic (sp?) shock reaction) and test again in the spring.

What are other people's experiences and or recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Apparently,

I thought a HW test was mandatory before starting HW medication. I don'tunderstand your vet's reasoning.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I thought a HW test was mandatory before starting HW medication. I don'tunderstand your vet's reasoning.
    Because it takes 7 months for HW's to show up on a test. The vet I work for does use Iverhart plus as a "treatment". He put them on the Iverhart year round and test next year 90% of them of neg. What this does it lets the worm's die on there own and keeping the dog from getting reinfected. Now I do know interceptor is different I can't remember why but I would not use that.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Now I do know interceptor is different I can't remember why but I would not use that.
    Puff gets all her vet service from Kansas State University's CollVetMed Teaching Hospl (Small Animal Clinic).

When she was first put on HW meds, they used Heartguard (IIRC). After a year, though, they switched her to Interceptor and she's been on that ever since. I trust KSU-CVM and if they prefer it, that's good enough for me.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

[quote=Bob Pr. ]
    I trust KSU-CVM and if they prefer it, that's good enough for me.
    Interceptor is great stuff but for what I am saying my place of work does for HW treatment there is something in interceptor that would kill the HW's to fast (I think) that why we only use iverhart for HW treatment.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel

Interceptor is great stuff but for what I am saying my place of work does for HW treatment there is something in interceptor that would kill the HW's to fast (I think) that why we only use iverhart for HW treatment.
    That may be what this vet was talking about, the HW's dying too fast, and so if Bud went into shock, Id have to have him at the vet's immediately. I'll ask him about Iverhart.

Thanks!

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

When I adopted Ceaser he was HW Poss. It is really important to know because when the HWs die they can cause blocages if the dog is too active. Also, some HW meds will cause a false neg on the test. The standard test looks for eggs. Here is a website I found helpful and it will give you options to discuss with your vet.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=11

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

Dani is offline Senior Member

If he's not been on meds since 2007 and he did get it, it would show up now. I'd get him tested. It does take 6 months for it to fester, but he's been off them long enough that microfilia would start to show if he was indeed infected. THey can contract HW year around and since our warm months are weird...(I saw Mosquito's in January) so his exposure to potential infection would warrant a test.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003