Neutering today

Thread: Neutering today

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeutering today

It's snippity-doo-dah for Rupert today. We go to a reputable vet so I'm confident things will turn out well.

I met with the vet this morning and we discussed the procedure, what our responsibilities will be, and basic do's and dont's.

I gather he will be groggy tonight and a little slow for a couple days. We were told limit his walks to leashed sessions around town, not craziness at the dog park. Check the incision and keep it clean. And just monitor his behavior in general.

Any male Lab owners here have any other advice, stories, etc? I want to take good care of my pup and get him back to his crazy wiggly self again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neutering today

Baloo was groggy the day of, and then the next morning it was like nothing had ever happened. Keeping him quiet for a whole week was by FAR the hardest part of the whole experience.

He also developed some secondary dermatitis, meaning his scrotum (NOT incision site) started to weep (as gross as that sounds) so everywhere he sat would be little blood smears. Icky. We went back to the vet and he got an antibiotic and stopped the weeping by the next day. He was also pretty much mature (15 months) when he was neutered, so the vet said that probably caused the troubles he had. But still, other than being a little gross it was no big deal, he never let on that it bothered him at all.

We got the cone when we went back for the dermatitis, but he was afraid of it so I couldn't bring myself to make him wear it. He healed up just fine without it though, I put traumeel on the incision site and the dermatitis and it was all better in a few short days.

Good luck with the "keeping quiet" though, that part's tough!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Well I will walk him gently around the neighborhood and take him places in the car this weekend.

What I've found when he needs to release some energy but for whatever reason - raining, late at night, etc. - that if I put some effort into training him, it tires out his poor little mind and he mellows out.

I'm hoping he's still groggy tomorrow. My wife and I have both had long weeks and I don't want him doing his usual paws on the bed tongue in my face at 5:30 AM even though its the weekend.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Honestly, plenty of neuters in my house...with Rider and many fosters behind. Rookie will get the snip in December. But they know their limit. I keep them quiet that first night home with limited food and water...and then allow them to increase activity as they seem able. I've never had a problem. Made sure the area was clean and dry and that they didn't lick it. No problems.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I'm off to go pick up Rupert in a few minutes. I can't wait to hang out with the little guy after his long day.

When Gus had his done a couple months ago, once the anesthetic wore off it's like he didn't know anything had happened. Except he did try to lick, so he had a cone. Hated the cone. Otherwise totally unphased.

Archie was neutered 3 weeks ago. I was glad the vet gave us a cone, anti-inflammatory meds, and some tranquilizers. He wasn't at all groggy the next day, and I couldn't keep him from his usual jumping up behavior. I think I had to give him two-half doses.

He had to have the cone for 9 days because whenever I took it off, he'd lick his groin way too much. The vet explained that a dog can "undo" 2 weeks of healing within just a few minutes of licking.

I bought him some ice cream made for dogs that he absolutely loved!