What do you think of this food?

Thread: What do you think of this food?

DefaultWhat do you think of this food?

A friend sent me this link and said she is feeling this brand to her dog and highly recommend it. I am curious what we thinik about this food, ingredients and price wise.

http://www.flintriver.com/productinf...e-Dog-Food.htm

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Flax Seed, Dried Whole Egg, Lecithin, Fish Meal, Inactive Dried Brewer's Yeast, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Sulphate, Amino Acid Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D-Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you think of this food?

While I don't think it is necessarily a bad food based on ingredients, there is a little too much wheat for my liking. I'm not fussy with finding a 'perfect' (ingredient wise) food because my dogs tend to do well on anything, but the only thing I actively try to avoid is wheat. Wheat nearer the end of the ingredients wouldn't bother me, but three times is a bit much. I also noticed poultry fat. What poultry? I prefer meat/fat sources to be specificed. Likewise with the Fish Meal - what fish?

But anyway, that was just my take based on the ingredients. If you want to try it, I don't see a problem at all. The real test is how your dog does on it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you think of this food?

I agree with Trickster -- not bad but it's got a lot of wheat.

Also, I think Flint River is sold mainly through Amway type user-distributors. Could it be your friend wants you to order through her/him?

You might compare it with the Kirkland Chicken, Rice & Vegetables formula I feed Puff. (Kirkland is the house brand sold at Costco member only warehouse clubs.) The price for a 40 lb. bag has been gradually rising over the last year; currently it's about $23 incl. tax.

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamin mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein_____________________________26.0% minimum
    Crude Fat________________________________16.0% minimum
    Crude Fiber________________________________4.0%maximum
    Moisture_________________________________10.0% maximum
    Calcium___________________________________1.0% minimum
    Phosphorus________________________________0.8% minimum
    Zinc__________________________________200 mg/kg minimum
    Selenium______________________________0.4 mg/kg minimum
    Vitamin E______________________________150 IU/kg minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids________________________2.5% minimum*
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids________________________0.4% minimum*
    Glucosamine Hydrochloride_______________300 mg/kg minimum*
    Chondroitin Sulfate______________________100 mg/kg minimum*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient in the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient profile

Calorie Content

3,754 kcal/kg (393 kcal/8 oz cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

AAFCO Statement

Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures
    substantiate that Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice &
    Vegetables Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748