Elbow Dysplasia

Thread: Elbow Dysplasia

DefaultElbow Dysplasia

Ted is almost 2yrs and suffers from this in both his front legs and had his right elbow operated on last year. They won't do his left as his right leg was the worst our orthopeadic vet had seen in twenty years, they'd rather leave it alone for now.

I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this?

Right now his treatment is metacam, acupuncture once a month, and Hills Joint Care Diet. If he is in severe pain we give him the painkiller tramadol but luckily that's only been on three occasions in the past year. If this doesn't work he will have to have his elbow fused, which I am trying to put off until absolutely necessary. My vets are very supportive and don't want to operate again so soon either.

As for exercise because it was diagnosed at 20wks we have just let him be a puppy around the house and garden and we have a stair gate to stop him going upstairs. But we do monitor his walks and off lead exercise - as to him it is normal and he's a boistrous social lad!

I'd guess I would just like some reassurance, fresh ideas on pain management, and how other people cope with that fine line balance of letting them be dogs and managing the pain?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Elbow Dysplasia

I don't have any personal experience with it but I know there are several on here that have. I know Jasmine Dream has ED and I think Scotty does too but I haven't seen them on a lot latley.
    Good luck I hope you can find a solution.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy had ED at 14 months (she is 6 now). ED comes in several forms, did your vet say which one your dog had? Maddy had FCP. We had bilateral arthroscopy done in both elbows to remove bone fragments. We did this within less than a month of diagnosis and had nearly no cartilage damage in the joint. We have her on supplements of Glucosamine/chondrotin, MSM, and Glycoflex. Too much exercise can make her gimpy, but overall she is fine. We train and compete in AKC and UKC obedience events with jumps and she does just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ted has OCD (the one that affects cartilage and bone). They removed a lump that was approx 300mm in length 150mm across. He is arthritic and he will get worse.

Even on good days he is slightly unsound. On bad days he looks like he's got two golf balls on his elbows and both feet splay out but he still bounds everywhere. I think the scariest moments have been recent when he's collapsed unable to put on any weight on his front legs, as he goes into a pain spasm. The vet thinks its caused by a nerve being trapped but we are just on watch now to see if he has more frequent repeats as this means further tests.

He does obedience training and loves it, he gets regular short walks and is not allowed to go much over 36kgs in weight. My mum's garden is bigger than mine so when he's bad he lets of steam there as we don't have to worry about unknown dogs coming over to play as the temptation to be boisterous is too much for Ted.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Look into supplementing with hyaluronic acid. Many people are getting great results in a week to 10 days.

http://www.trixsyn.com/

http://www.lubrisynca.com/about/faqs.aspx

Call and ask the companies about dbl dosing initially and than going to maintenance dose.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do. Wish I knew about this product a few years ago for my arthritic girl.

Hoping you can help your baby have less pain.

Thanks for supplement details - it's nice to have different options to research and try!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Crikey, poor guy. Have you tried hydrotherapy? or even just swimming? no pressure on the joints but wonderful exercise.

I have heard good things about magnetic collars. No first hand experience, but several people with elderly arthritic dogs I know of swear by them:

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/bioflow-dog-collar.htm