Orijen dog food?

Thread: Orijen dog food?

DefaultOrijen dog food?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience and/or opinions on Orijen pet foods (made by Champion). It was recommended to me by a friend and I've been exploring their website. It sounds great to me but then again it's supposed to, they pay people to sell it.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Orijen dog food?

We don't have Orijen food here in Australia (that I know of) but I use this website along with forum advice to help decide on a kibble for my Lab.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Hopefully someone will come by soon to give you their personal experience

Cheers Sarah

Modified to add: I just checked out Orijen Large Breed Puppy on that site and it looks like a great food!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky has been on Orijen for quite awhile now. He does well on it. Took a few months to get the "amount" right (he put on a few pounds) but he's eating 3 cups a day (he is 81 pounds and fairly active). I live in a Canadian big city so have problems with availability.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

We tried Archie on Orijen about 2 months ago. I was very impressed with the whole product, but the diarrhea he experienced was a drag. I'm sure every dog is different, but it seemed like it was going to be a very slow process for him to switch to it. I just didn't have the funds to buy two kinds of dog food (and Orijen is not cheap) over the course of a few months. I like the whole idea of a grain free food, so I will probably try it again when he's older.

Kathleen

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

My dogs have been on it for about 4 months and do very well . Prior to that they were on grain free Natures Variety Instinct for a year and did well on that too. (I made the switch to Orijen for breeding purposes)

Grain free foods are higher in fat and protein and overall calories.

You need to calculate the amount of calories in your food daily to be sure when you switch to a grain free food you are feeding the same amount of calories and not over feeding - causing loose stools or too much weight gain.

My dogs maintaine there weight at 72 and 78 lbs on 2 cups per day.

Its the only choice of grain free for growing pups - the L.B. pup formula is only 1.4 calcium.

Other grain frees are higher at 2.6 and 3.1 (not good for pups under 1 year of age)

Thanks to all for your help. I've bought a bag and will begin mixing it with Kahlua's old food tonight. I'm not sure how to compare calories though, since her present food doesn't seem to have any calorie information on the bag. Right now I'm feeding her 4 cups per day of Medi-Cal Gastro formula (almost twice the recommended amount but she is very active and loses weight below that).

She weighs 56 lbs (25kg) so I was planning on starting with the max on the bag for a 20 - 35 kg active dog, which is 3 3/4 cups, but Snowco reports feeding 2 cups to 72 and 78 lb dogs. Snowco how old are your dogs? Kahlua is 2, very lean, and very active. Should I start her out maybe at 3 cups and watch her weight? I certainly don't want to over or under feed her.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua
    ... since her present food doesn't seem to have any calorie information on the bag.
    You may have to go to their web site to find calories per cup. What food are yo feeding now?

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

We feed it and like it. I will say though, that different dogs "react" to it differently then others. With Abby, we made the switch over a week, no problems ever with her stools - with Yeller, I had to make the switch longer, as in a month, and even now, if I get like 6 kibbles more then her daily amount, we could have looser stools then normal. But if she gets her 1 3/4 cup exactly, her poops are great.

Abby is 69 lbs and gets 2 cups daily - any more then that and she packs the pounds on like crazy.
    Yeller is 86 lbs and gets 3.5 cups daily.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

They just started carrying it at my local pet food store. It's $58 a bag though, which is out of my league.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua
    Thanks to all for your help. I've bought a bag and will begin mixing it with Kahlua's old food tonight. I'm not sure how to compare calories though, since her present food doesn't seem to have any calorie information on the bag. Right now I'm feeding her 4 cups per day of Medi-Cal Gastro formula (almost twice the recommended amount but she is very active and loses weight below that).

She weighs 56 lbs (25kg) so I was planning on starting with the max on the bag for a 20 - 35 kg active dog, which is 3 3/4 cups, but Snowco reports feeding 2 cups to 72 and 78 lb dogs. Snowco how old are your dogs? Kahlua is 2, very lean, and very active. Should I start her out maybe at 3 cups and watch her weight? I certainly don't want to over or under feed her.

Thanks!
    My girls are 2 and 5 . As someone else mentioned: go to the manufacturer's web site to get kcal or cal/cup to compare your old food to the Orijen so you can feed the same amount of daily calories.

Good luck with the switch.