Yogurt question

Thread: Yogurt question

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

DefaultYogurt question

I have been giving Shane, 4 in 1 probiotics since he was a puppy. The breeder started the puppies on it and I've continued. I see a lot of people give their dogs yogurt, my question is, could I use yogurt instead of the 4 in 1 probiotics? I have to order it over the internet and it would be easier/cheaper to use yogurt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yogurt question

Most yogurts don't have as much probiotic in it as does the probiotics you buy at a health food store or places like that.

There is a probiotic yogurt out now that I saw at the grocery store. Of course, just looking at it in the fridge, it's a local store brand so I don't know the national equivalent.

Found this, which kinda backs up my opinion on yogurts for probiotics.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...-health-claims

Laura

As for the probiotics, the way it was explained to me by my vet was that human probiotics really don't work well on dogs. Their gut system is different than ours. One thing that all canine probiotics have that none of the human ones do not have is Enterococcus faecium.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    As for the probiotics, the way it was explained to me by my vet was that human probiotics really don't work well on dogs. Their gut system is different than ours. One thing that all canine probiotics have that none of the human ones do not have is Enterococcus faecium.
    It is up to the company who makes them as to what is in them and many human probiotics have Enterococcus faecium in them. I myself have taken a super charged probiotic when I was very sick this summer. I forget the name (and they were NOT cheap!!!) but they were the most potent probiotics they make..or at least one of. They did not have Enterococcus faecium but I have seen many that do.

One of the reasons Enterococcus faecium is used and mentioned more often when it comes to dogs or animals is because it is one of the few probiotics approved by AAFCO, therefore it can be listed in their ingredients. But it must be applied after the cooking process because it is also a probiotic that is destroyed when heated.
    Enterococcus faecium is not significant to just animals. It is a bacteria found in human intestine as well.
    I honestly don't think a product is more or less inferior if it does or does not contain Ef.

Probiotics are measured in units called CFU's. For a human I think something like 1 billion need to be taken to be significant in having any health benefits. The supercharged ones I took when I was sick this summer were 50 billion per cap. So you need to be looking at that when you are looking at yogurt. I do not know how much probiotic is actually in yogurt (it varies from brand to brand) or what the serving size is in order to obtain that amount. Feeding capsule or powder form probiotics is much easier. I feed 1/2 teaspoon a day to my crew. The type I feed contains 5 billion CFU's and yes it has Enterococcus faecium.'

Ah...now my fingers must rest.

Kim

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for the information. Sounds like to be on the safe side I should stick with the 4 in 1 probiotics I have been buying off the internet. These are the ingredients:

Vitamin C (non-acidic), organic Barley/Wheat Grass,
    Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus
    Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtillis Fermentation Product, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Dried Whey, Sucrose, Sodium Silicate Aluminate. Guaranteed Microbiotic Analysis not less than 85 million colony forming Units/Gram.Guaranteed Enzymatic Analysis; Amylase 110 Units/gram, Protease 110 Units/gram,Lipase 8.8 Units/gram
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

looks good to me.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I put Maddy on Prozyme when she was younger and never noticed any benefits with the before and after. I give mine a spoon of yogurt when I have it, just because I think they like it and if the helps, great. You are probably better off with the product you are using if you believe the benefits to be worth it.