Nutro Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutro Question

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNutro Question

I have an 8 yr old yellow lab that has terrible hot spots. He is currently on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula. I heard that Nutro Lamb & Rice is a good food for dogs that have hot spots. We have tried many foods, and the Pro Plan seemed to be working for a while, but he has broken out again. We also are having a problem with his weight. He goes on walks twice a day & gets plenty of exercise thanks to our 9 month old puppy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. By the way, we think he is allergic to the grass.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nutro Question

Has he been tested for allergies? Do you believe that his allergies are related to the hot spots?

I don't have a cure for hot spots for you - my dogs have never had them - but I would find the best quality food you can in your area - and that is not Nutro unfortunately.

labby is offline Senior Member

No, Nutro will not prevent hot spots. My dogs had horrid hot spots on Nutro.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. He will not be going on Nutro. Are there any suggestions for a good dry food for him?

Quote Originally Posted by sammysam21
    Thanks for the info. He will not be going on Nutro. Are there any suggestions for a good dry food for him?
    I can only say what I use for mine - I feed Wellness Core which is a grain free food. I have a diabetic dog and give him this to reduce his carb intake. Quite a few others on here use it as well. I have had great results - and not a single ear infection since I switched to it.

If you post a question asking about hot spot foods or hot spot treatment you will get responses from people with that kind of experience.

lablover88 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

Has he been tested for allergies? Do you believe that his allergies are related to the hot spots?

I don't have a cure for hot spots for you - my dogs have never had them - but I would find the best quality food you can in your area - and that is not Nutro unfortunately.
    What are hot spots and why is Nutro a bad food? I'm debating about switching mine off Nutro, but he's never had any problems with the food. Thoughts/knowledge on why it's bad would be great!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

hot spots are infected, inflamed areas of skin.

If your dogs are doing well on Nutro, there's no reason to change... two of my dogs have been fed Nutro for years (it's the only food that doesn't inflame Kaylie's colitis) with no issue.

We are just re-entering the dog world, but have had cats for years and I learned with them that corn is among the worst ingredients in pet food, as is any "by-product". My cat had problems (severe blood sugar issues) until we switched to Blue Buffalo, Evo, and Merrick. Those are my favorite brands and Merrick will let you order online, free shipping and a discount if you sign up for the club (there is a fee). BUT I have heard from a lot of other owners that removing the corn/by-products also helps with skin issues and some other health issues. I know it saved our cats life, and I have talked with dog owners that say it saved their pets as well, so maybe you might want to try a purer diet and see if that helps. I also use herbs when I can, and certain oils added to foods help pets with skin issues too. Nutro is just not one of the foods I will allow my pets to eat.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Since you're having a problem with weight as well as hot spots, have you had a recent thyroid test? Just a thought.

He is going in for his check up soon & I am sure they will want to run senior tests on him. That should give us some answers on the hot spots & weight situation. As far as the Nutro goes, he will not be eating that. We are going to leave him on the Pro-Plan while I research foods & talk with our vet. Thanks for everyone's input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast