Hi There - Meet Butch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi There - Meet Butch.

DefaultHi There - Meet Butch.

Hello,
    This is my first time here and I must say this is a great place to be for a Labrador owners.

I'm the owner of a 1yo yellow Lab named: Butch. he is a crazy little dog but we love him so much ( maybe because he is so crazy...)
    Butch is a healthy dog but we are having one serious problem which is ,his stomach.

through the last year Ive been trying so many kinds of food which started good and then became not so good,which means, unpickable poop...
    we've been trying anything: Eukanuba,ProPlan,Nutro choice,Royal Canin and now we are on EaglePack-Natural. (Just ordered the Holistic lamb to see if theres any change.)

Have you guys ever suffered from that kind of problem ? Ive understand that Labs are suffering from gentle stomach, but like that ? almost every time he needs to go it goes in a diarrhea way. sometimes it starts good and then go bad again.

Is there something to do about ? does anyone can help ? I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hi There - Meet Butch.

welcome to the board.

The problem may be that you keep changing. Unless a major effect pops up, you need to stay on a food for at least a few months to see ANY effect. Being as he's 1 and you've tried 6 foods, he may just never get the chance to adapt to a new food before you give up and move on.

1 - how long as you staying an any one food?
    2 - how much are you feeding (sometimes feeding too much will cause an upset stomach)
    3 - have you tested his stool for parasites? IF so, how often, and how long ago? I had a heck of a time getting Rocky over giardhia. we had cycles of diareah every 3 weeks. And giardia is hard to find in the stool (sometimes they miss it)
    4 - other than the messy poop, are there any other symptoms (dry skin, ear problems, other skin problems...)? Have you talked to the vet about possible allergies?

Have you looked at the possibility that it's not the food per say causing the diarhea? How long is he "ok" with a food before you see symptoms?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks you for your quick answer.

for your questions:
    1- Ive stayed with food for 2-3 months. ( I couldn't stay that way any longer ).
    2-I give him him the exact amount that written on the sack. ( every time its a little diffrent, around 2 cups a day. )
    3-I did check his stool, nothing there. Although he had giardhia when he was 5 months old. ( got antibiotic to that and have been checked again,all was clear then..)
    4-No other symptoms than the poop, his skin is fine,no allergies,no itching...(knock on wood..)

I know for sure that those dog's bones are not good for him and makes his stool bad so I stopped that.
    Usually what happens its that is stool runs okay for a week or more and than its starts to be a little softer and softer. the most common way is the one that it starts hard enough to pick it up and than begin to soft...

Hope thats Help.
    Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

2 cups of food total a day? boy that sure isn't alot! But if he's healthy stick with that.

Giarhdia can be tricky to catch in a stool sample so I wouldn't write that one off completely. Rocky went thru similar problems are your boy, sensitive stomach for a long while. I had to be careful what treats I gave him and how much food because anything that wasn't "normal" would cause problems. Luckily thru the years he's gotten much better.

What happens when he has diarhea? How long does it last (and are all stools really loose)? Have you ever stayed with a food after a bout of diarhea? Or is that the sign you need to change?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Hi,

Well, I didn't change the food right after it started because it happens almost every time, not matter what food it is.
    I changed brands in order to make this thing stop but Ive seen it doesn't work so I stayed now with the Eagle Pack which Ive been told is good for sensitive stomach.

I really don't know what to think any more. My vet tried to say that maybe the dog need the Medical food but I leave it as the last option.

And about the stool, the most common thing that happens its as Ive said: starts good and become loose. a really diarrhea happens only once a month and I don't know the reason why...

Could it be that the problem is not the brand you use but ingredients in the food? Have you tried eliminating grains or using a novel form of protein? My Dutch Shepherd could not tolerate any beef products - and had nasty mucousy stools until I figured that one out. You might want to try switching your dog to boiled ground chicken and rice until his gut calms down and then working over to a food with a novel protein and one grain (or no grains).

Thanks,

This is what I'm trying to do now... he will be on rice on chicken for 3 days and then I will start to mix it with the new Holistic EaglePack Ive bought him.
    I really hope this one will work..

Do you give him any other human food?
    After he gets the runs how long a time period do you go back to the dog food, right away or is it gradual and how many days until he is totally back on dog food?
    Olie

His stools runs bad after one or two moths... I don't change his food right away. I keep giving it to him trying to use some rice.
    not helping...

I hope now it will be better. he is on rice and chicken for a few days and than Ill start mixing it with Eagle Holistic.
    And for your question, no I don't give human food.. I tried to give hi, some dog treats but Ive stopped them also...

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyM
    Thanks,

This is what I'm trying to do now... he will be on rice on chicken for 3 days and then I will start to mix it with the new Holistic EaglePack Ive bought him.
    I really hope this one will work..
    What is in the Eagle Pack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast