how big will he be? he's already huge!

Thread: how big will he be? he's already huge!

Defaulthow big will he be? he's already huge!

Leonidas is 7 months...and 75 lbs! He is all muscle too, not fat at all. How big is my boy going to get you think? He sees a vet regularly, no problems or anything, just BIG. Sweetheart, but BIG. :embarrass:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how big will he be? he's already huge!

Based on my experience, the majority of his growing is done. He might put on another 5 pounds or so, but no more huge growth spurts.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Based on my experience, the majority of his growing is done. He might put on another 5 pounds or so, but no more huge growth spurts.
    I agree. You will find that depending on how he is bred, he will fill out a lot on the next year or so.

Looking at his parents will give you a reasonable indication of his adult height/weight. Unlike some other breeds, Labs vary a lot in terms of height and weight so there is no 'average'. So, as long as your pup appears to be fit and healthy, that is all that matters.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Below is a copy of a post I've often made. You might check his past weights and ages and see if it follows the same curve.

There's no meaningful average for Lab puppy weight gain because there are so many different lines and some young adults level off at 50 lbs (or less) while others level out at 125 lbs (or more).

I measured my Puff's weight regularly. Her rate of weight gain followed a curve similar to the silhouette of the NW quadrant of a US/Can football when its noses are pointed EW.

Reading off her growth curve (wght X Day's Age) I plotted:

At 65 days, she weighed 6 lbs. (65 dys = 2 mos, 5 dys)

At 105 days, 20 lbs. (3 mos, 15 dys)

At 145 days, 31 lbs. (4 mos, 25 dys)

At 185 days, 42 lbs. (6 mos, 5 dys)

At 225 days, 47 lbs. (7 mos, 15 dys)

At 265 days, 52 lbs. (8 mos, 25 dys)

At 305 days, 54 lbs. (10 mos, 5 dys)

A friend has a male Lab from a BYB; he was born on the very same date as Puff and always weighed twice what Puff weighed at the same age.

But I've seen a study published (in JAVMA) by vets at Seeing Eye in N.J., on growth rates for the Lab line they breed. Instead of being a concave curve like Puff's, theirs is sinusoidal (a very stretched out S-shape): their Labs initially gain weight at a slower rate than Puff and her friend did for about the first 5 months, then accelerate more rapidly, and then level off.

So -- it all depends. There's no one pattern. Perhaps your Lab breeder has typical data for your line?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748