neutering question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neutering question

Defaultneutering question

Hi,

Our lab, Archie, is getting neutered today. I was wondering if it's typical for an overnight stay? My vet's office informed me this morning that Archie would be spending the night. They claim that the recovery process is better. I was really surprised.

Wouldn't it seem that being home would make the recovery process better? Or am I just a bleeding heart?

Thanks,
    Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: neutering question

hmm...not normal from what I have experienced. Unless they are a 24 hour clinic, I would be hesitant to leave the dog overnight unsupervised.

Our local 24 hour does surgeries at night, so yes, its normal to drop them off at about 8pm and pick them up the next evening.

labby is offline Senior Member

Is someone going to be there overnight to watch? If not, then there is no way I'd ever leave a dog at the vet overnight. If you can crate the dog and keep it still and resting, there is no reason to have it stay at the vet.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would never have agreed to this if I had known ahead of time. I just called and they said it's their "policy" and that the vets like to do "post op" stuff in the morning. I told them I am NOT comfortable leaving him alone all night long with no supervision, and they said basically OH WELL.

I can demand my dog back, don't you think? He's in surgery as I write this. I'm so angry I could spit. I will be changing vets pronto.

Please send me some advice or something so I don't make an ass out of myself!

Kathleen

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Screw them!! If there is no one staffed overnight, you can absolutely insist that you pick him up. I don't know where you are, but here in NJ (and most other states), they won't keep them overnight, especially a male being neutered. It's not necessary. He will be groggy tonight and sleep most of the night, but you're going to want to be with him.

There isn't any post-op stuff that they need to do in the morning if they do it properly right after the surgery. Is this a vet that you've known long?

I'll be looking for an update.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

brody is offline Senior Member

every vet I know does things a little differently

I don't actually leave my own animals at vets but I have had vets who did surgery late enough in the day that they preferred to keep neuters overnight - it certainly isn't uncommon for spays ...

if there is no one checking on them or on the premises overnight I don't see any reason you couldn't return with your dog for a recheck appointment tomorrow..
    I think a vet wanting to do a post op surgery check is actually a good thing..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Every vet is different and I bet you no one is there over night with them. Were I work the only ones that send the night after surgery is the declaws b/c they do rest better, dogs do much better at home with there people. If we have a big surgery and they need to spend the night they are sent off to the ER vet for them to watch.
    Alicia

My Vet generally does their surgeries late in the evening and the dogs stay overnight and are checked on. Jake was just neutered last Friday, I took him home after he woke up. I did not want him there all night. I wanted him home.

They told me that they only like to keep spay/neuters overnight because sometimes, the owners will not follow the no food/no water after surgery rule well and are concerned for the pets safety.

Now I'm wondering if I should just raise a big fat stink and go get him. It's getting close to closing time, it's 3:30 here in California. I don't want him to miss out on any needed "Post-op" stuff tomorrow. I'd rather avoid having to take him back in. I just think it's kind of odd...they never asked what kind of food he eats or anything. They're just going to offer him food, they told me. I think it's stupid to offer a dog food he's not used to after a surgery! Am I wrong on this, or what? After the micro-chip, bloodwork, etc., this is about $250, so you'd think they'd be a little more customer friendly. This just seems like rotten communication (myself included) on everyone's part.

I wonder what they are going to do "post-op"? Maybe a call in to them would be a good idea. I took Jake home within hours of the surgery and just need to keep an eye on the stitches to be sure he is not licking or getting icky. Then come back in 2 weeks to remove.

on a side note- Where in California are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast