frequent bowel movements, not gaining weight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frequent bowel movements, not gaining weight

memphis is offline Junior Member

Defaultfrequent bowel movements, not gaining weight

I am wonderng if I should be concerned about my dogs bowel pattern. He will poop 3-4 times on our hour walk in the morning and then poop again in the afternoon and sometime before bed. In fact, when I let him out for last potty he rarely pees but always poops. That seems really weird to me.

First couple poops on our walk in the am are like big marbles and by the 3 or 4th poop it is loosened up quite a bit. I would ot call it diarrhea. Poops later in the day seems normal. All of these piles are big, it is not as if he is just going a little bit. I swear I should weight how much he poops. I am convinced that it weighs more than he eats.

I have attemped to keep him trim to prevent ortho problems and also because he seemed to do nothing but poop when I fed him more. However, now that he is older I would like to bulk him up just a wee bit. Unfortunately it seems like that is not happening, he is just pooping it out. My vet does not seem concerned.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? He seems like the picture of health in every other way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: frequent bowel movements, not gaining weight

what are you feeding him, how often, and how much? How old is he?

sarah is offline Senior Member

sounds like your over-feeding him and he's pooping out the excess.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Have you consulted your vet? If I was as concerned as you I'd be taking a stool sample to the vet for analysis and getting expert advice. He might have a parasite that is causing this.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I think 2-1/4 cups both morning and night is too much. The average lab will get 1-1/2 cups in the morning and
    1-1/2 at night. You should also get an accurate dry measure cup.

When my Frankie was on Nutro, he pooped like 6 times a day. Now I have all 3 on Purina One Natural Blends and they all go 2-3 times a day.

I think in your case, it's a combo of the food he's eating and the amount he's getting. Why not try a different food?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Going multiple times while exercising is normal for some dogs and yes, it will get softer/looser. 4 cups a day isn't unusual for a male especially if he's not nuetered yet. Do you have any pics you can post? Is he just a lean field type of lab?

georgie is offline Senior Member

This is just my experience. I was feeding Molly ProPlan & I stared to switch her over to Wellness, midway through the switch her stools became loose & more frequent. I think, even though it is a great food, it was too rich for her. I went back to the Proplan & her stools became normal again. Maybe there is another food that would suit your dog better.

And just to be sure, it probably would be a good idea to have your vet check a stool sample for parasites.

It is no fun being on the food merry-go-round. I see that Purina is changing it's formula for ProPlan & if my labs do not tolerate it, I may looking for another food. I hate the thought of starting again. Good luck.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You didn't say how much he weighs (or I missed it). I looked at TOTW ingredients (great foods!) and at their kcals/cup; they vary, depending on which formula, between 360 and 390 kcals/standard 8 0z. measuring cup.

But 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 cups of food a day is a tremendous amount of food unless a Lab is extremely huge and active and/or in lots of cold weather.

My Puff (63 lbs, field line) is naturally thin and her ribs easily show in some angles of light because her coats are not as heavy as the standard Lab. She's more active daily than probably the typical Lab. She eats 2 cups/day of Kirkland C&R which has 393 kcals/8 Oz. measuring cup. That's 786 kcals/day. She also poops more often than many Labs (usually 3X/day) but the volume of each one typically molds to no bigger than the volume of a golf ball in the plastic pickup bags. (Your Lab's would probably be baseball size if they weren't so runny )

Your Lab is getting (let's assume 375, the midpoint between 360-390 kcals/cup) between 1406 and 1688 kcals/day depending on the number of cups you use.

That's a tremenous amount of kcals! Enough for a very active Lab weighing well over 100 lbs.

By all means, take a stool sample to your vet to be tested for parasites.

But are you aware that overfeeding shortens your Lab's life and produces health problems?

I will go look up something to append which you should read and will modify this post to attach it when I return in a couple minutes.

Thank heavens you posted with this question -- you could be seriously hurting your friend's health even though you obviously want only the best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here they are -- please read all of them (they're all summaries and need no technical knowledge).

The first two links are reports of different results from the same study and as if it was recently done (actually it was published in JAVMA around 2003-4 or so). The first summary emphasizes the huge increase in longevity; the second the siginificant reduction in health problems.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/article.php?id=144

http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicl.../dog-diet.html

Here's another study exploring reasons for the better health:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandev...17?newsid=9914

The summary below of that same investigation makes it clear that the dogs used were Labradors and that it's an extension of the original Nestle-Purina study:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...l/11040701.asp
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree -- 4 cups is too much, especially as you say your dog isn't active. Cut back to 3/day and see how it goes.

I know food can make a difference when Mocha was on Natural Choice she was going 3-4x per day and they were huge piles, but now on ProPac she goes 1-2x per day. If he's always went that much though it just might be normal for him I know activity will make them go so I wouldn't be surprised he went on your walks but going 3x seems like a lot unless he's just not getting it all out at once. I know our lab Zeus is a poop walker he'll walk and leave a trail :vomit:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast