Flea/Tick prevention...which do you use?

Thread: Flea/Tick prevention...which do you use?

DefaultFlea/Tick prevention...which do you use?

Just wondering what everyone uses for flea/tick prevention. When we got Remi he had been treated with Frontline, he's due shortly for another treatment but I'm wondering if we really want to use the Frontline or switch to something else. We live in the Northeast where the ticks are notorious in the fall and mosiquitos are ridiculous in the summer. We also live right up the road from a lake so we're constantly contending with those tiny little no see-ums. We have 2 cats as well so we need to make sure whatever we use is safe around them. And Remi LOVES to swim, he probably goes twice a week or so AND because of his reoccuring dermal staph infections he gets 2 to 3 medicated baths a week...so the products waterproofing abilities are important as well. I've looked at K-9 Advantix, Advantage, Frontline Plus and Bio-Spot but really can't tell the difference between them all. So what do you use??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Flea/Tick prevention...which do you use?

We use Frontline Plus. We run our dogs in hunt tests & alot of wooded areas, we have not had any problems with them. We live in PA. & there are alot of ticks in our area too.

We use Frontline plus too. I tried the K-9 Advantix a few months because we have a really bad mosquito problem at our house. I didn't like it for some reason it didn't seem to disperse as well and the few days after application the dogs would be shaking their heads all the time and I was worried about it causing a hemotoma.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Frontline Plus and Interceptor on recommendation of our vets at Kansas State Univ's CollVetMed. (But I give them every 45 days -- which is NOT the every 30-31 days KSU-CVM recommends.)

Puff has never (yet) had a tick or flea although we walk daily in a wooded area where ticks sometimespick on me.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

A couple of months ago our vet switched from Frontline Plus to Promeris. I was a little concerned because of some of the negative feedback about Promeris and other than the smell of Eucliptis for a day it hasn't been a problem. The deer ticks are really bad in CNY and in the past despite the Frontline I have pulled ticks off of Oona that were fully engorged.
    Olie

I don't use anything. When we take Diesel through the woods we comb him out thoroughly when he gets home. The yard is treated. I have not had a flea problem on my dogs in 20 years.

I just prefer not to put pesticides on my already health challenged dog.