Info on a Cruciate Ligament

Thread: Info on a Cruciate Ligament

DefaultInfo on a Cruciate Ligament

I am helping my neighbor with her dog Keke, this past Thursday when she was playing in the yard she hurt herself. Was limping Thursday night and they took her to the vets yesterday and was told it was a Cruciate Ligament and that she would have to have surgery. Gave her (my neighbor) a disc with the x-rays on it and told her to take her to an animal hospital. She has an appt. on Monday. To view the disk and to have surgery. They would not give her even a ball park figure of what the surgery may cost her. She asked if they did a payment plan and was told no but gave her a credit place name to get a load at and she was told to get at least $5000.00.

We live SW of Chicago, does anyone know if this is about a normal price range for this type of surgery and should she get a second opinion before having surgery?

Thanks Kaite

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Info on a Cruciate Ligament

Well, I am probably one of the least qualified to answer your questions, but I do have a couple of suggestions.

First, some background. We live in the north suburbs of Chicago. Two years ago our Lab, who was 18 months old at the time, was diagnosed with severe HD and we were referred to an ortho clinic for consultation and possible surgery. Without a second x-ray, without a thorough exam, the ortho vet said we needed a TPLO (I think) which cost $3,500. :surprise: Then, there would be PT and follow up exams, etc., etc., so I'm guessing the grand total would have been somewhere around $5,000.

We talked to our breeder, who referred us to her ortho vet, who took another x-ray, which showed absolutely no problems at all. Big sigh. See, our dog never showed any symptoms of this "severe HD"- none at all, which is why I was having a hard time believing the diagnosis. Several people here cautioned me at the time to "treat the dog, not the x-ray." Excellent advice!!

Now, about Keke. This whole scenario seems too pat. Dog gets hurt, vet takes x-ray, refers owner to surgical clinic (who will not take a payment plan, although that may not be unusual) but says- before seeing the dog- that the owner needs to get at least $5,000. Something seems wrong with this picture.

I would go ahead with the appointment tomorrow. However, before agreeing to anything I would definitely get a second opinion and I would be sure it included an exam and discussion of all the different things that could cause a dog to limp, not just an x-ray. I would call the dog's breeder for a referral. And if surgery is necessary, I would look into a number of different financing options. I would get more than one referral before I went out and borrowed $5,000. While that may be a normal cost for this type of surgery and rehab around here, I'd check a little further first. No, I'd check a LOT further. Sometimes Vet schools associated with universities perform surgeries for far less than private practices.

There's lots of other questions that come to my mind, but I wanted to get you thinking of some options. Good luck. I hope Keke is okay.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Dani is offline Senior Member

I would get a second opinion before you do surgery. Rookie was diadnosed with a cruiciate issue too..and it turned out to be something else. Still needed surgery, but it wasnt that. I got CareCredit and am making monthly payments on his surgery which cost me about 3,000.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for answering Trappers Mom and Dani.

I will share your answers with Pam (Keke's person).

Katie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it really is a torn cruciate that needs repair, we had 2 TPLO's done for Hudler at the tune of $3K each.