Slightly runny eyes

Thread: Slightly runny eyes

DefaultSlightly runny eyes

Duke has only been with us for a couple of months. His eyes have been just a little runny since the day he came home. Not gooey or anything, just clear like tears. It leaves a light stain, looks like lines coming down from his eyes, as if he's been crying. He never acts like they bother him. We've been to the vet for a couple of things, including his first checkup the week we brought him home. She didn't say anything about his eyes, and I forgot to ask. Too many other Lab questions on my mind, and still grieving for the Collie I lost a few weeks prior to bringing Duke home, making the the vet's office sort of a difficult place to be.

Dukester is my first Lab, and is a 1yo rescue. Is this normal for Labs? I know it is for some breeds, but none that I've had. Although I've not had a Lab before, I've been around several regularly, and never noticed this.

Thanks for any help/info.
    Denise

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Slightly runny eyes

That's not normal for Labs in my experience (owned only 2; been around a bunch).

Don't know what the "tears" are caused by -- perhaps some irritation on eyelids? Sounds like it's worth a call or visit to the vet's office.

Mine have occasionally gotten some infections that produced goopy secretions for which I've taken them to the vet. The vet Rx'ed an ointment and I'd put a drop on a finger and touch it to the dog's eye several times daily. That's always cleared it up in a week or so.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks, Bob. That's what I was leaning toward. I've been looking at the closeup portraits of Labs here, and I'm not seeing the tear stains I see on Duke. They look like the reddish stain you see on some of the small white breeds. I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Denise

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Both of my labs get a lot of "eye boogers" which I just wipe off a few times a day but not really tear stains. I know the boogers are fine as long as they are not yellow/green that could be a sign of infection..