Post Vaccination loss of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting diarrhea

Thread: Post Vaccination loss of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting diarrhea

baboyako is offline Junior Member

DefaultPost Vaccination loss of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting diarrhea

I just got my lab vaccinated for the first year booster shot 5 in 1 with rabies. she was also dewormed at the same time. After 2 days, she exhibited lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. She refuses to eat except when it's bread (with cheese whiz) or sardines only. Kibble she shuns. she seems to have recovered a bit her spirits but still appetite is gone. she's around 1 year and 6 months old.
    is this a case of over-reaction to the vaccine and deworming? maybe the two together was too much for her system. i don't want to go back to the vet because i'm not so confident with that vet who did the vaccination.
    help! thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Post Vaccination loss of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting diarrhea

It sounds like a case of way too many vaccines at the same time plus the worming. What's in that 5-in-1 shot? My dog only gets distemper and Parvo and rabies. Did she have worms? After this set of shots, she will only need vaccines every 3 years and they aren't all given at the same time. Don't let a vet talk you into yearly. If they insist, find another vet.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sure sounds like a reaction. I also only give Parvo and Distemper at one year booster and never give Rabies at the same time. I wait 4 weeks for that.

I also would not worm at the same time - and wouldn't worm at that age unless I knew I had a problem.

I hope she is feeling better soon. Definately keep an eye on her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's best not to give all those shots at one time.

My pup Jed had a rather severe reaction to his first rabies shot...vomiting, coughing, lethargy, but got over it. We'll have to bring this up to the vet next year when he is due again so that they can address his allergy to the rabies shot.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would look into doing titers next year and not vaccinat for distemper and parvo. Its hard to say what vaccine did it. I do titers on all of my dogs starting when they come back in for the 1 yr bootsters. And I would do a titer on my dog for rabies if they every had a reaction to it.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/CanineTiters.htm
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...revention.html
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...titer_test.htm
    Alicia