If Canidae's changed, what's next?

Thread: If Canidae's changed, what's next?

DefaultIf Canidae's changed, what's next?

I know there is a lot of opinion about food on this board. I feel like and idiot for not knowing Canidae was changing its formula along with bag size. Now that I went to the website, it's a DUH moment. Also I see on Google a lot of complaints about the new food. My guys are mostly just gassy (and maybe loose stools, now that I think about it)

Anyone know what other foods may be similar to the old Canidae or otherwise good food products for healthy, but admittedly somewhat allergic (one of them) labs?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: If Canidae's changed, what's next?

There is a good chance the formula changed on the food long before the changes were made on the bag. So what you are seeing may not be related to the formula change at all. It could be something else entirely. Maybe try adding probiotics or yogurt for a bit and see if that helps.
    Kim

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You can try one of the grain-free foods and see how your pups do on that. There are several out there, we have finally settled on Wellness Core. The boys both love it and are both doing well on it. I had tried Innova EVO and Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, but Buddy didn't like either of them and had to be coaxed to eat. He attacks the Core with gusto and I actually have to slow him down so he doesn't simply inhale it. They both finally have nice, firm poops and very little gas, thank God. The occasional farts seem to come when they have marrow bones and they are not nearly as bad as they used to be on other food.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have to agree with Amazongold. Wellness is an excellent food. It is a bit on the more expensive side but very high quality in my opinion. I've found that if your willing to pay a little more on quality food the you usually pay a lot less at the vet.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't think the formula change took place before the bag change since the food was VERY different, most notably in COLOR. There would have been no mistake that something was up from the first moment you opened the bag and now saw LIGHT TAN kibbles instead of normal brown ones. Some of the problems stem from the fact that the food is more calorie dense now. In fact, if you normally feed a cup, it would be wise to drop that to 3/4 of a cup. Also, the food is different enough that if you didn't do a change-over like you would with a new brand, many dogs had tummy issues.

I would prefer California Natural or Avoderm over Wellness. But that's just my preference rather than something being up with Wellness. We actually moved to the Kirkland Lamb & Rice and everyone is doing great.

Well, I guess I'm not observant, or confused or something. I really didn't notice a big difference in color. On the bright side, the boys seem to have settled in to this food, or at least there's a lot less gas around. (Maybe it wasn't the food, after all?)

One of these days I've gotta change my picture, since the "little guy" in the picture is now over a year old and bigger than his brother. Sigh. no more puppy.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by vgariffo
    Well, I guess I'm not observant, or confused or something. I really didn't notice a big difference in color. On the bright side, the boys seem to have settled in to this food, or at least there's a lot less gas around. (Maybe it wasn't the food, after all?)

One of these days I've gotta change my picture, since the "little guy" in the picture is now over a year old and bigger than his brother. Sigh. no more puppy.

I think folks jump ship on foods way to fast. Dogs throw up. Dogs get diarrhea. Dogs get gassy. I think the constant flip flop of foods can do more harm to their tummies. I've been down the road of changing food every time my dogs itched, sneezed, blinked or farted. The improvements were usually short lived and months later I was changing again.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I don't think the formula change took place before the bag change since the food was VERY different, most notably in COLOR. There would have been no mistake that something was up from the first moment you opened the bag and now saw LIGHT TAN kibbles instead of normal brown ones. Some of the problems stem from the fact that the food is more calorie dense now. In fact, if you normally feed a cup, it would be wise to drop that to 3/4 of a cup. Also, the food is different enough that if you didn't do a change-over like you would with a new brand, many dogs had tummy issues.

I would prefer California Natural or Avoderm over Wellness. But that's just my preference rather than something being up with Wellness. We actually moved to the Kirkland Lamb & Rice and everyone is doing great.
    I beleive the old Canidae ALS was about 468 k/cup, same as the new. I tried to verify this on the Canidae site but it appears they have removed the old food pages.... Prehaps someone else can chime in if they have access to the old k/cup figure.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Well, maybe "more calorie dense" was the wrong way to put it. I have a friend that works at Canidae and what she was saying is that for the 1 cup they used to eat, they can now eat 3/4 cup because the way the food is made they can absorb more nutrients. So even if it has the same kcal per cup, it's digested differently.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoodDog
    I beleive the old Canidae ALS was about 468 k/cup, same as the new. I tried to verify this on the Canidae site but it appears they have removed the old food pages.... Prehaps someone else can chime in if they have access to the old k/cup figure.
    Yes, you are correct on the calories.

I also think the overfeeding comments have merit in explaining the gas and loose stools that some have experienced, esp if it's true that digetibility has increased as well. I still have 5 bags of the old formula here since I just bred 2 bitches, and didn't want any change w/ their diet for awhile, so haven't switched over yet, but everyone I've talked to locally made the changeover quite well (w/ the exception of one person, small breed now that I think about it). Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014