Pro Plan has changegd?

Thread: Pro Plan has changegd?

Default Pro Plan has changegd?

Has anyone heard anything about the change in Pro Plan? There was an insert in my last bag about it changing this fall to Pro Plan "Shredders" - anything not printed that I should be aware of (if anyone knows - I'm wary of formula changes )

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pro Plan has changegd?

Yep... http://www.proplan.com/shredded_blend.html

Personally, I'm not a fan of the changes they're making and have switched my crew to something else.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Only the adult chicken, beef and lamb are changing. No change to performance (ALS), salmon or any of the puppy formulas - except for price, which is going up across the board to all foods. I just picked up some PP chicken and rice dirt cheap (at least by today's prices) at Petco, but usually feed PP performance or Kirkland. Even Kirkland has gone up more than 30% in the last couple of years. sigh.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Here's the link to the other thread about the changes: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,84286.0.html

I'm also not happy about the changes. We were already looking into higher calorie alternatives, but this recent development has pushed us to switch foods as well. We mainly feed Performance (which is not changing for now) but normally switch to regular C&R over the winter. Although we could continue to feed the Perf for now, I believe it will only be a matter of time before the whole PP line is changed.

It feels like a little bit of deja vu...At first, Canidae claimed they were only changing their L&R formula, then the whole line was changed- followed by the introduction of their new "grain-free" formula. Now, Purina is changing their 3 main PP formulas and, IMHO, it's in an attempt to make their Selects line more appealing...("Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain", lol)
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Yes, i've been researching the changes and will be changing to Wellness Supermix Chicken. How stupid. I would have gladly paid a dollar or two more a bag if they kept the formula. We used the Adult Chicken and Rice and Tallulah has done so well on it. Hopefully the Wellness will be just as good!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have been researching the changes as well. Both of our girls are on the PP Chicken & Rice & have done really well. I have been looking at other foods too. I did try to switch Molly to Wellness a couple years ago but midway through the switch she developed loose stools. I thought maybe it was too rich for her. We can feed the Performance during the spring & summer when we are training more & running the hunt tests & early winer when Abby is hunting but Molly doesn't hunt as much now & I am not sure I want them on it during the winter.

I really am not sure what to do.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    I have been researching the changes as well. Both of our girls are on the PP Chicken & Rice & have done really well. I have been looking at other foods too. I did try to switch Molly to Wellness a couple years ago but midway through the switch she developed loose stools. I thought maybe it was too rich for her. We can feed the Performance during the spring & summer when we are training more & running the hunt tests & early winer when Abby is hunting but Molly doesn't hunt as much now & I am not sure I want them on it during the winter.

I really am not sure what to do.
    georgie, I don't have the answers either. I think you know we also have performance girls (those with high caloric needs) who haven't done well at all on some other foods, so we're sort of in the same boat and it's something we've been contemplating too. We usually switch everyone over to regular PP C&R about now. However, as of yesterday, we're trying out Innova- not the EVO, but the regular green bag. While it's only a 24/14 blend, it has a higher caloric value than even PP Perf- which means we should feed less. From our experience so far, 1 cup of Innova is MUCH heavier in weight than 1 cup of PP of any variety- not sure if that necessarily means that it's more nutritionally dense, but we'll certainly find out. Just our experiences so far and we're not that far into our switch, but if anyone would like to be kept apprised of our little "Innova experiment", I can do that...
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

everydog is offline Senior Member

PP Performance is one of the most (if not THE most) calorically dense kibbles out there. 4400 kcals per kg, versus 4168 for Innova, so there are more feedings per bag. The weight of a cup of food is tied to size and shape, not calories.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

We switched a while back from ProPlan (which my boy was weaned onto and raised on) to a different food. Based on the changes they're making, I am certainly glad we don't have to scramble for something else now because I wouldn't be happy with those changes, either!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon