i am devestated dog is very sick after eating dental floss w/case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i am devestated dog is very sick after eating dental floss w/case

bogi is offline Junior Member

Defaulti am devestated dog is very sick after eating dental floss w/case

just dropped my dog off at the vet he ate yesterday morning (we figured it out now when this must have happened) one of the small dental floss round cases you get at the dentist. i woke up this morning only to find puke every where and him crying because he had poop hanging out of his butt attached to a string. he kept throwin up so i toook him to the vet they did xray and found a "metal" looking round piece in his belly that looked like a quater but i think its the dental floss case. when he threw up dental floss came out when he pooped dental floss came out. vet wants to observe him and take xrays thruout the day he says he can see tons of air in his intestines. he said he seems in pain towards the very back of his belly where his intestines are he said it doesnt look as an obstruction "yet" but he could be on the way to one. he said if so he needs emergency surgery. i am supposed to pick him up at 5 pm to drop him of at dog ER for overnight so they can watch him and then return him in the morning for more observation. they said they can try to get foreign object out of belly by endoscope now but its a 50 50 chance they cant grab it so he said he will just watch to see if he can "pass it".

i dont knwo what to do i guess I have to trust the vets opinion - my vet is on vacation so i dont know this one well he helps my vet oiut when he is gone. can anyone shed some light for me what to do or how dangerous this is?

he ate like i said the dental floss and a bunch of other stuff... candy and god knows what else was in my trash can he got into.

i am worried sick about my boy.

mandy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: i am devestated dog is very sick after eating dental floss w/case

Oh, I'm sorry Mandy. :no:

Unfortunately, many labs eat things they not supposed to. Because of this, most vets are old pros at doing surgery to get things out of them. It's fairly routine, I think. Prayers that he will pass it on his own though.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Oh, I'm sorry Mandy. :no:

Unfortunately, many labs eat things they not supposed to. Because of this, most vets are old pros at doing surgery to get things out of them. It's fairly routine, I think. Prayers that he will pass it on his own though.
    thanks for writing back appreciate it. i just called the vet now they say they wont do another xray until right before i pick him up to take to overnite ER why are they not doing anything!!!???? Is this normal... my vet is on vacation this is a sub i never met before. what if they miss an obstruction?

what should I tell them to do? how wil they know he has a obstruction?

they say they have him on painmeds and iv fuild..... they say dental floss wont show up in xrays in intestines so how does an obstruction show up? and what if they catch it too late. iam worried sick

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Thankfully, I haven't had that experience so I can't give you anymore answers. Someone else here should be able to help you.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi

I don't have any first hand experience with such a situation. Maybe they are waiting to see if it moves, I dunno. Prayers for your dog.

Kathryn Guest

I am so sorry you are going though this..
    My Jacey my yellow girl just went through this the end of June. She ate a pine cone. at the time we didnt know she had ate any thing.. I took her in on a monday to see why she was ill.. and wed night she wasnt any better I called we did Xrays and then thursday morning they went in to see what was going on. They THOUGHT it was an obstruction but wernt sure. It was moving to slow for their liking. Wed night when she had to stay the night they did nothing but watch her. I too felt that i could do the same thing at home but with what she was puking up and how often I felt it was best that she stay there and they clean it up since they have someone thaty stays with them 24-7.

I feel they are doing what they should for right now. it was 6 days before they took the pine cone out of Jacey and today shes a happy and bouncy baby.. Just a little less hair on her belly that is SLOWLY growing back

bibber is offline Senior Member

My boy Sam used to eat rocks (knock on wood that's all over with now) and has had three surgeries for obstructions. He's always had x-rays and if they weren't sure they would do a barium test. The barium shows up on the x-ray as it moves through his system and they can tell if it's going all the way through or not. It's not too expensive of a test from what I remember, but it takes quite a while (like 12 hours) while it moves through their stomach and intestines.

The fourth time he had an obstruction he was able to pass it with the help of some medicine. I can't remember the names, but one pill kind of coated his intestines and the other caused his intestines to contract and move the rock along.

He recovered fairly quickly from the surgeries, but for a while he had to eat several small meals a day instead of the two bigger meals he usually eats.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I am so, so sorry to hear about your pup. My last lab had a fettish for anything cotton, particularly socks, and had a total of 5 bowel obstruction surgeries. He was lucky, he recovered quickly with each one.

I have heard that linear objects like string can be one of the worse things for them to eat. They generally don't obstruct the dog but can cause the intestine to telescope on itself(intussusception) which can cut off blood supply to the bowel and cause necrosis.

I will keep your pup in my prayers. Update us when you can.

thanks so much everyone for writing I JUST got home from ER Vet where I dropped him off for overnite. My vet took one more xray but said nothing has changed. the coin is still in his stomach and he said the floss or anything thats none metal wont unfortunately show up on xray. he said he didnt throw up anymore all day.

ER Vet said that they will watch him all nite and call me if he gets worse and they need to do ?"exploratory" surgery they would open his whole belly. his pains seems towards the end of his body where the intestines are so not the object in his tummy hurts him. she explained they would watch for more vomiting, lethargic, drewling and fever would all be signs of obstruction and if anything worsens they will "go" in.

She said dental floss can kinda act like an "accordeon" if its stuck from stomach to end of intestins. but she said hopefully he will just pass it. but i am worried about if the piece thats in his tummy is indeed the dental floss round case then it would prolly be still attached to his dental floss in his intestines and not be able to pass. they said i can call tonite if i want to since i couldnt even manage to leave i balled like a baby i had a crying attack and couldnt stop. bogi was crying when i left for me. he has never been in a kennel or cage poor thing. my husband fainted when i told him ab out what the vet charged me so far $580 and ER quoted me 2100 for surgery and if non 480 for overnite stay but i dont care all i want is my baby to come home to me again. I love this dog so much its not even funny anymore. he sleeps with me! yes 85 lbs dog sleeps on my pillow with his head on my shoulders/chest..... my husband hates it.

anyways i am so scared that he wont pull thru this. he is only 5 yrs old.

thanks for listening. i would post a picture if i could figure out ho9w.

mandy

Kathryn Guest

I hope that it all works out without the need for surgery. If he should need surgery I am sure he will pull through just fine! Jacey did an awesome job when she went through surgery!
    The cost of something like this is just nuts! I wouldnt have it any other way if its saving the life of my pet.
    I wish you all the best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast