Leaking Urine

Thread: Leaking Urine

DefaultLeaking Urine

For the past week or so we have really noticed that Dee smells of urine.....especially at night. This started a few days prior to her tooth extraction, so I can't blame this on the anesthesia she had a couple of days ago. I immediately took a sample in for my Vet to check out for any sign of infection, but he said it was clean. The only thing he mentioned was that it wasn't quite as concentrated as it could be (specific gravity test?)....but it still fell in the low normal range. I haven't found any major wet spots, but her bedding did feel a little damp. She's always licking something so it's hard to know if it's urine on her bed or not, but I think I can assume she's leaking judging by the fairly strong odor. I don't think the Vet has done a culture because it would have taken longer for the results to come back, but they did say that they could tell there was no infection with whatever test they did at their clinic.

Needless to say I'm hoping she isn't suddenly having incontinence problems. How likely would that be? She's just 4 and did go through a heat before being spayed......and she was spayed over two and a half years ago. She has never had any problems with incontinence whatsoever up to now.....or any UTI for that matter. In fact quite the opposite as she's always seemed to be able to go hours with peeing.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leaking Urine

Hmmm....

Did they do pre-anesthesia blood work? Did everything look ok?

I might want your vet to run a full UA (urinalysis), including:
    • urine specific gravity
    • urine protein
    • urine glucose
    • urine sediment
    • urine protein to creatinine ratio
    • urine culture

and a CBC chem.

Has she been drinking more than normal? Any other weird signs?

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    Hmmm....

Did they do pre-anesthesia blood work? Did everything look ok?

I might want your vet to run a full UA (urinalysis), including:
    • urine specific gravity
    • urine protein
    • urine glucose
    • urine sediment
    • urine protein to creatinine ratio
    • urine culture

and a CBC chem.

Has she been drinking more than normal? Any other weird signs?
    Hi, thanks for replying.

I told them to run a blood screen if the Vet thought it was necessary pre-anesthesia, but when I asked afterwards how her blood work looked my Vet said that it wasn't necessary to check it for this. She did have a complete blood check less than a year ago and all was fine. The Vet said she did fine with the anesthesia (solid as a rock). He said the same after her spay....so there doesn't seem to be a problem there. However....As I mentioned in my other post I was kind of surprised that she was so groggy and that the effects lasted so long. I was under the impression that they would only need a light anesthesia to remove a small tooth and snap an x-ray, but I haven't had a chance to ask him about this yet.

Re the urine....I'm not sure exactly what tests they can run in the local clinic. FYI - this problem isn't related to the anesthesia as it started just prior. The one test result he mentioned was the "urine specific gravity" and that apparently was to the low end of normal. (meaning her urine could be concentrating better than it was for this sample?) He didn't seem concerned about it, but said we should do a re-check in a month or so.....and also to keep an eye on how much she's drinking. No sign of a UTI etc., but they wouldn't have done a culture here. Other than the urine smell at night for maybe 4 or 5 nights running she hadn't had any other related problems.....nothing else weird. Drinking normally, urinating as per usual etc. Now the last couple of nights there hasn't been any urine odor either. I am puzzled as to what would cause this in the first place, but hoping it's okay now.

New problem since this minor surgery on Tuesday .....she had one normal solid BM that evening, but since then she has had diarrhea. So far she is not going that often, but when she does it's varying from loose to watery. I figured it must be a reaction to the drugs, but she was very loose again this morning so it doesn't seem likely it could still be that, does it? I had a an appointment booked for this morning to go over various things with my Vet, but got a call to say he had had an emergency and would have to cancel. The receptionist said she would pass on the details of the diarrhea and get back to me....and to collect a sample and drop it off. As they may be closed before she goes again it will likely be Monday before I can get one to them. It's rare for her to have this issue and her BM's were 100 percent fine prior to Tuesday. She seems to be feeling absolutely fine and her appetite is good. Of course with having the anesthesia there were a couple of days where her meals were wonky between fasting before and being too sleepy to eat the day of, but that was a few days ago now and I can't see why that would cause her to be loose. I've been adding rice and a little cottage cheese to her food and yesterday it seemed like she was getting a little closer to normal.....then she got me up at 5 this morning to dash outside and again a few hours later.

Sorry this is so long.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

• Yes to remove a tooth she does have to be all the way out.
    • With a urine sample try getting it first thing in the morning before she eats.
    • Urine culture is best when your vet obtains a urine sample by cystocentesis, which is the process of withdrawing urine directly from the bladder.
    • If the urine come's back OK then I would look into chiropractor for her it is amazing what it can do with incontinence.

http://www.avcadoctors.com/more_abou...iropractic.htm
    • Try boiled hamburger or chicken with rice for a few days to help with the stool.
    Alicia

Oakley has had incontinence since she was 3 months old. First we treated her a lot for UTI's but then getting tired of my vet saying, just keep treating the infection, I went to a new vet.
    We discovered that she has a weak sphincter. She is on a Propalin syrup 3 times a day and a stilbestrol pill once a month. That has the leaking licked!
    We have been on this now for almost 2 years. If I miss a dose or am late with the stilbestrol, we start dribbling again.
    With a weak sphincter the infections are caused by the urine coming in and out of the bladder.
    The bloodwork won't show a weakening sphincter.

DES is also a very common (and inexpensive) med used to treat urinary incontinence. Problem is, you first have to have a definitive diagnosis.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Whether it needs to be sent out or not, a full UA needs to be done if you want to get a diagnosis of the problem. Urine specific gravity can't be interpreted if your don't look at the urine sediment.

Incontinence is fairly common, and can be treated successfully in many dogs, but as BuddyRoo said, you have to have a diagnosis first. It can be a long workup, since it's basically a diagnosis of exclusion.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    Whether it needs to be sent out or not, a full UA needs to be done if you want to get a diagnosis of the problem. Urine specific gravity can't be interpreted if your don't look at the urine sediment.

Incontinence is fairly common, and can be treated successfully in many dogs, but as BuddyRoo said, you have to have a diagnosis first. It can be a long workup, since it's basically a diagnosis of exclusion.
    Well she seems fine now and no problem for about a week. I have to assume she was leaking because I could smell urine.....though I never found any major wet spots. I talked to my Vet again a couple of days ago and he seemed quite sure it wasn't a UTI. Even the Urine Specific Gravity was in the normal range, just a little lower than it could be. Re this test and "urine sediment" that you mention....not sure if they checked that or not. I know they didn't send anything out of the office, but I think if he thought there was any possibility of infection he would have checked further. If there is any reoccurence we'll be back in there pronto for more testing. Regardless we're going to check her urine again in a few weeks to see where the Urine Specific Gravity is....though he didn't seem concerned that it was a little lower than he expected. (still in the normal range though)

As she's only just four wouldn't it be unusual to have a sudden onset of incontinence with no UTI? Also doesn't it seem unlikely that it would only last four days.....actually nights. I really would have liked to get a more definitive answer on what caused this, but if it's not a UTI and it's not happening now (so probably not ongoing incontinence I wouldn't think) I'm puzzled as to what else it might have been. Just hoping it doesn't happen again.