stitches weeping

Thread: stitches weeping

mistonia is offline Senior Member

Defaultstitches weeping

bonnie on sunday cut her side and it needed stitches, the wound had gone completly through the skin so left it that i could see the whole way down her muscle over her chest and that. well she went in sunday night and got stitched up, first day one stitch came out and today it has started weeping loads and loads of fluid a slight red tinge off it, but she had a lump gather under the skin just behind the wound which i had suspected was fluid and now its started weeping i pressed on the lump and it started running out so the lump was def fluid, but its been weeping loads of fluid all day, should i maybe take her back shes due to go back on tuesday to get the stitches removed. i also noticed that a stitch has appeared through the small hole the fluid is weeping from, so they must have done two layers of stitching. Shes happy enough in her self, i was thinking of putting a pad over it to absorb all the fluid coming out to keep her a bit dryer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: stitches weeping

Definitely let your vet know about that. It sounds like the wound is trying to dehisce.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Go see your vet. In the meantime, do NOT cover it. Covering it will only give any bacteria present a nice, warm, moist environment to grow in. Nice drainage is worse for your furniture, but better for a wound.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It hasn't weeped at all today so my guess is the hole has closed over that allowed it to weep. however theirs a nice lump appeared under the skin again so guessing its fluid again. I actually think there is a tear on her muscle bit further back that they have missed and not stitched and the fluid is coming from that muscle, cause i can feel two firm lines appearing long ways from the wound as if its scar tissue forming where its trying to heal under the skin but the edges aren't closed so its fulling in with scar tissue, I did tell the vet that was stitching her to have a look in the wound and see if their was any muscle damage needing attending to before stitching cause the plank of wood did go quite deep in, but i don't think she did, just stitched the visable wound and that it. also shes used undissolvable stitches internally as one of them is starting to come through at the bottom of the wound where the first stitch fell out. I don't like the vets that we used because of dealing with our other lab but when its the only one you can get hold of with in reasonable distance, you have to use them, shes in after the weekend so will pop her in monday morn and if im not happy will what they say/do i will take her to my normal vets and last time they advised what to do and said if they didn't sort it they would do the exploarity operation and if they found an evidence that they messed up they would send of for analysis and send them the bill but they listened and two operations later sorted out the problem.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Go to your vet NOW its most likely infected. There sould be no ozzing at all. A muscle tear will not cause fluid.
    Alicia

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

It could just be a seroma - fluid accumulation due to the inflammatory process. Inflammation could also account for the swelling you feel distant to the actual laceration site. I'm not saying don't go see someone for a wound check, but just trying to give you a little peace of mind.

As far as absorbable vs nonabsorbable suture material goes, if the wound was just sutured up on Sunday, then an absorbable suture of great enough strength to close a wound to be wouldn't be absorbed only 5 days later. It should still be there.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

thanks yeah they stitched her up internally with the same stitch material they used externally, i am gonna have to nip the one showing through as its trying to heal around the stitch.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't think I would be "nipping" anything. I would be taking her to the vet.