Ear problem--UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear problem--UPDATE

DefaultEar problem--UPDATE

Ok, Attu is a 5 yo male choc. eating Iams Dog Food. He is not shaking his head nor scratching his ear. For the past month his right ear (just his right ear) has been red and has lots of dark brown wax. I have been cleaning them with an ear cleaning solution but it just does not go away. His ears smell normal and a vet visit may be next (rather not as they are extremely expensive--they are the only vets on island and the cost of a normal spay is upwards of $600--captive market so to speak). So my question to you more experience folks is what else can I do at home to try and get rid of his red ear? Is there anything I can put in his ear besides cleaning them once a week?

Thanks in advance,

Dawna

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Ear problem

I suggest trying Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone. It's a non-prescription treatment vets commonly recommend anyway (only they charge 2 times the on-line price). I've used it very successfully on my labs when they had similar ear problems. It's composed of a light oil that really works well to penetrate all the ear gunk. If you get it, make sure you get the zymox that contains the hydrocortisone. The zymox without hydrocortisone is slightly less expensive but won't clear up the inflamation. I've tried just about all ear treatments out there and this has worked the best for my labs. It works quickly and is very gentle. Here's a description from where I get the zymox with hydrocortisone (http://petscriptions.com/zymox+otic+with+hydrocortisone). BTW, they do have free shipping to Alaska for orders over $49:

Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution
    -Works with the body to react with present pus and debris to kill infections
    -Has no memory so it is effective against antibiotic resistant microorganisms
    -Non-invasive protocol so no cleaning before or during treatment
    -Acts as cleaner and medication with one daily dose
    -Once a day treatment

For use in dogs and cats for the treatment of acute and chronic inflammation of the external ear caused by bacterial, viral and yeast infections. Treat once a day for 7 days for acute infections and once a day for 14 days for chronic infections. Do not use this product in conjunction with other topical ear medications or cleaners.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

When Baloo used to get ear infections, one of the things that worked the best was a simple vinegar and water solution. 1 part WHITE vinegar to 4 parts water, flush ear twice daily.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the viniger/water first and if that does not work then I'll move on to the other stuff. I really hate seeing his ear so red.

dawna

Since putting my dog on a GRAIN-FREE DIET, he has never had ear problems. Also, weekly cleaning can be detrimental. Constantly putting liquid in the ears never gives them a chance to dry out. Moisture can be the breeding ground for cooties.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

You can clean the ear out, but I'd be more concerned with finding the cause. Frankie had that same problem in his right ear. Turned out he's allergic to egg products, fish products, and it also get yucky when he swims in the river in front of our house.

What's different in the past month? New food? New treats? Has he been swimming?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

jlab Guest

Be careful with the vinegar/water solution. It just made the inflamation in my lab's ear much worse. I'm sure it worked for Baloo but it was pretty harsh in my experience for 3 of my labs.

My holistic vet told me that the vinegar/water treatment was just for periodic maintenance to keep the right pH once the inflamation had cleared. She said that it wouldn't get out the gunk. She recommended an organic oil (walnut I think, I'll check later) to penetrate and clean out the gunk and then use the vinegar/water once the inflarmation cleared.

Unless you have an otiscope to check the ear canal, you won't be able to tell if you're getting all the debris out when using the vinegar/water treatment. So if you do use it, don't think that just because nothing else is coming out in the flush means all the debris has been removed.

Diet can have some affect as kiddsmom noted but for my dogs it was caused by swimming. If your dog does any swimming, you may want to put a few drops of caster oil in both his ears as a preventive before he goes in the water.

Attu's diet/treats have not changed in the past month nor has he been swimming so that rules those causes out. It is so frustrating when his ears have been fine for a long time and now begins to cause problems (he had this once before long, long time ago and for the life of me I can not remember what I did to get it to go away). He loves to swim so I will get the castor oil for his ears so the next swim session (now not until Spring/summer--turning too cold/rainy in AK now).

Thanks to all and have a wonderful day,

Dawna

At his age, you might to check his thyroid, especially if he continues to have ear problems. Things change as we all age.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Be careful with the vinegar/water solution. It just made the inflamation in my lab's ear much worse. I'm sure it worked for Baloo but it was pretty harsh in my experience for 3 of my labs.

My holistic vet told me that the vinegar/water treatment was just for periodic maintenance to keep the right pH once the inflamation had cleared. She said that it wouldn't get out the gunk. She recommended an organic oil (walnut I think, I'll check later) to penetrate and clean out the gunk and then use the vinegar/water once the inflarmation cleared.
    Really?? Odd. It worked really well for Baloo, and for my mom's dog too when I gave it to her. Huh.

I also agree with diet playing a part. I haven't cleaned Baloo's ears once since we switched to a raw diet (his ears were very bad even on grain free kibble - has issues with yeast) and he swims all the time. (sometimes I remember to dry out his ears afterwards, most times I don't, doesn't seem to make a difference. They're clean enough to eat out of all the time now.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast