Follow up to my Broken Tooth Post

Thread: Follow up to my Broken Tooth Post

DefaultFollow up to my Broken Tooth Post

Well, Dee had the little tooth extracted yesterday morning. My Vet did a couple of quick x-rays at the same time. Nothing lengthy. I picked her up in the afternoon and she was still really dopey and off kilter. I guess that kind of surprised me because I was thinking it would just be a very light anesthesia for something like this. I called the Vet's Office after I got home because she was whining in her sleep.....and also I guess I was a bit concerned about how "out of it" she was. They said she wouldn't be any pain and it was just the reaction she has to the anesthetic. I do remember her doing the same thing when she was spayed, but I figured she probably was in some discomfort with that. What she had done yesterday was just very minor in comparison. She was finally steady enough to have a bite to eat late last night, but even this morning she is no where near back to normal. She's very sleepy, eyes droopy....still looking semi out of it. She was hungry though and had her breakfast. SU took her outside and she had a pee. Another thing.....she really has gas, and that's unusual for her.

Just curious if anyone else's dog has this reaction to anesthesia or is Dee particularly sensitive to it? When I picked her up my Vet told me she tolerated the anesthesia very well during the procedure. It makes having a tiny broken tooth removed seem more major.

TIA for any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Follow up to my Broken Tooth Post

I have heard that many dogs whine after coming out of the anesthetic, so I would not worry. I know it can take a day or two for the full effects of it to wear off.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It seems to me that I'd ask for a reversable anesthesia if future needs call for something that minor. The only time I've had that experience (whining) was after an emergency c-section and we all know that is invasive and painful. My vets keep the dogs overnight for spays but I do know there is more vocalization there too. But a tooth..... minor.

Last fall, Jazzy was bit by a rattler (unbeknownest to me at the time why she was limping --it was a dry bite-- no venum released fortunately) but 2 days later, had a bad infection w/alot of pain, necessitating anesthesia for a look and treatment. She seemed to be a bit longer to come out of reversible anesthesia for her OFAs 2 yrs earlier but had no trouble w/ her paw so I'm guessing they used a bit less this last time. I'd think they could use the same (domitor?) for a tooth extraction too, but I'm not a vet, just an experienced client. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    It seems to me that I'd ask for a reversable anesthesia if future needs call for something that minor. The only time I've had that experience (whining) was after an emergency c-section and we all know that is invasive and painful. My vets keep the dogs overnight for spays but I do know there is more vocalization there too. But a tooth..... minor.

Last fall, Jazzy was bit by a rattler (unbeknownest to me at the time why she was limping --it was a dry bite-- no venum released fortunately) but 2 days later, had a bad infection w/alot of pain, necessitating anesthesia for a look and treatment. She seemed to be a bit longer to come out of reversible anesthesia for her OFAs 2 yrs earlier but had no trouble w/ her paw so I'm guessing they used a bit less this last time. I'd think they could use the same (domitor?) for a tooth extraction too, but I'm not a vet, just an experienced client. Anne
    Hi Anne. She's pretty much back to her old self tonight thankfully. I have to go in on Saturday so I'm going to ask my Vet about it. Maybe she had an unusually intense reaction.....although they didn't seem at all concerned. I honestly expected that it would just be a light sedation and she'd be pretty much back to normal when I picked her up later in the day, but she was as groggy as when she was spayed. They figured the whining (it didn't last long) was just because she was feeling weird.

Now she has potent gas and her BM's are loose.....both of which are very unusual for her. I guess it's probably a reaction to the anesthesia too.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    I have heard that many dogs whine after coming out of the anesthetic, so I would not worry. I know it can take a day or two for the full effects of it to wear off.
    Thanks. She was still off kilter this morning, but seems okay tonight.....other than the loose BM's.

That's weird I picked Mocha up from having her tooth extracted yesterday totally expecting her to be a little dopey yet and she was totally her normal self. Pulled all the way to the car (she doesn't like the vets office) and was even barking and trying to play bitey face with Zeus last night :surprise: I tried to keep her as calm as possible and they said not to let her eat or drink too much as it might upset her stomach but she seemed fine. She didn't even have the shaved spot on her leg like she normally does when she's had anistesia before so they must have used something else.

Hi Barbara, I was wondering how Mocha made out when I read your other post about her tooth. I'm glad she was feeling good so quickly. We did have x-rays done at the same time, so I guess that could have made a difference. Still it made it seem like quite an ordeal for such a small procedure as pulling a tiny tooth and doing a couple of x-rays. All I can think is that perhaps she just has a stronger than normal reaction to anesthesia. I'm definitely going to ask about it when I go back in. Maybe I'm unaware of something. She did have a shaved patch on her front leg.

She's having a problem with diarrhea now.....got me up at 3:30 a.m. to go outside, and then had to rush out again a couple of hours ago. I guess that's probably a reaction to the drugs too.

Poor Dee!!

Hope she's feeling back to her normal self today.

Henry has the same reaction coming out of anesthetic.... hours and hours of whining, crying, drooling.... Definitely see if your vet has a reversible anesthetic as Anne mentioned. Henry has had that before and wow, what a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Poor Dee!!

Hope she's feeling back to her normal self today.

Henry has the same reaction coming out of anesthetic.... hours and hours of whining, crying, drooling.... Definitely see if your vet has a reversible anesthetic as Anne mentioned. Henry has had that before and wow, what a difference!
    Thanks Felicia. She's definitely feeling a lot better. I'm hoping the diarrhea is subsiding too as she didn't have to go out in the night last night. With a little luck it will be a very long time before she needs anesthetic for anything again!

I hope she's feeling better.
    Mocha didn't have the shaved patch either which I thought was odd they must have just used a seditive instead of putting her all the way under. I didn't think about it until we got home so I didn't ask. They did tell me to watch her water and food intake that night to make sure her stomach didn't get upset from it. She is 100% back to normal though you would never know it happened.