fish oil and vitamin E

Thread: fish oil and vitamin E

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultfish oil and vitamin E

If you give your dog fish oil capsules, do you also need to give Vitamin E? And if so, why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: fish oil and vitamin E

I just googled "Fish Oil Vitamin E" and got a mixed bag of suggestions. Some recent studies indicate that taking Vitamin E (d-Alpha tocopherol) reduced the benificial effects of Fish Oil. Other studies/summaries, not as recent, have indicated opposite outcomes.

So I'm not sure.

You can google "fish oil vitamin E", wade through the findings and summaries, weigh the credibility of the sources, and decide for yourself.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I just googled "Fish Oil Vitamin E" and got a mixed bag of suggestions. Some recent studies indicate that taking Vitamin E (d-Alpha tocopherol) reduced the benificial effects of Fish Oil. Other studies/summaries, not as recent, have indicated opposite outcomes.

So I'm not sure.

You can google "fish oil vitamin E", wade through the findings and summaries, weigh the credibility of the sources, and decide for yourself.
    That's exactly what I did....and that's why I'm so confused. I thought maybe somebody had talked to a vet about this or had some other type input.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The debate is which is the best way to give the fish oil -- with or without the E:

-- some recent studies found that fish oil with vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol) reduced (slight to moderate) the beneficial desired effects of the fish oil;

-- some previous studies found that the beneficial desired effects of the fish oil were enhanced with the vitamin but decreased without it.

But since -- (as far as I can tell) -- none of the studies have shown that animals or people are better off without the fish oil when given with vitamin E or better off without the fish oil alone, I'll continue to give Puff (and take myself) our Costco fish oil tabs that also contain an unspecified amount of d-Alpha tocopherol.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

It's like the old "less filling....tastes great" debate!

THanks for your input, Bob. We have almost a whole bottle left of the fish oil capsules without vitamin E. So I have a while before I have to decide what to do. I looked at Sam's today, and none of their brands of fish oil have vitamin E.

I just started giving Oona a teaspoon of Cod Liver oil once a day with her food. A friend suggested it because it seems her coat was a little dry this summer. Waiting to see any results.
    Olie

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I read that you need to give vitamin E when supplementing with fish oil because it removes the free radicals that the oil introduces. But oye... to find that article again.... I'll look but no promises!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Well, in looking for the article, I found this one:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n18607940

So apparently you don't need the vit. E. Which works for me, I'm always nervous about supplementing with fat-soluble vitamins.

Olie, cod liver oil has really high levels of vitamin A and D, both fat-soluble. I'd try a different formulation, like salmon or herring oil. I really like the one from UC, it contains oils from anchovy/sardines:
    http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_onl...m?Product_ID=3

I also take fish oil, so I can speak to how well it works.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!