Lung mass

Thread: Lung mass

DefaultLung mass

Hi
    My lab is turning 11 in November. He developed a dry hacking cough 2 days ago and wouldn't eat his dinner last night. I rushed him to the vet thinking bloat...primary left lung mass. Fluid from around the mass sent for cytology, sent home on antibiotics if the chance that maybe this is a lung abscess. Depending what the fluid shows may need to biopsy the mass and then see if it has spread. I know dogs can get cancer spread from other areas but it is rare for them to develop primary lung cancer especially since neither myself or my husband smoke. Has anyone have experience with dogs with primary lung cancer or heard about a case. The vet said if it hasn't spread then treatment is a thoracotomy to remove the mass. I feel so sick about this. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't beleive this is happening.

Mom2labs

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Lung mass

I understand how you feel. That's the first case I've ever heard of. It's hard not to worry but you have to just hang in there until the results come back. Did the antibiotics make any difference in his appetite? Keep us updated. Good thoughts for your family.

Well Riley still has an appetite for ground beef and rice, he does not want to eat his kibble. He is coughing a bit more and today started coughing up small droplets of blood. I know this is not good and am not anticipating good news from the vet tomorrow. I cannot stop crying and cannot imagine how I am going to be able to work tomorrow. He sometimes looks like nothing is wrong with him and other times I know he is uncomfortable, it makes it harder when he looks so good at times.
    Mom2labs

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

I wouldn't go to work tomorrow. Your dog is more important. I'd get him into the vet first thing in the morning. If your boss has any heart, he / she will understand.

I know exactly what you're going through. I lost my boy earlier this year to cancer. Hopefully, yours will be treatable & he'll be ok.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. You & Riley have my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? Is it possible that this is Valley Fever? Lung cancer is pretty rare. http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fungal.html
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC