Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultFish oil or sardines?

Which is better?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fish oil or sardines?

Fish oil everyday and sardines here and there...IMO.

Giving the capsul everyday is easy and cheap...
    Giving sardines everyday is more expensive, smelly, more calories, and more time consuming...but the dogs love em....so I give one as a treat every 3-4 days.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fish oil or sardines?

I've never given sardines for various reasons -- interference with calories count, smell, etc. But Puff gets fish and fish oil capsules.

I do buy a side of salmon and then make thin slices of it to add to Puff's evening meal.

For that meal Puff gets a salmon slice (equivalent in size to a half a normal slice of bacon). I roll up the slices in a food film (similar to Saran) and freeze the rolls, then unroll and peel off each frozen slice as needed. The slice goes in her food bowl with 1/2 cup of water, heated in the microwave until it's cooked through. Then one cup of Kirkland* C&R (393 kcal) + 1/2 cup of cooked frozen green string beans is added to that fish & broth and the kibble saturated with the water.

Puff also gets with each evening meal one Kirkland* Fish Oil capsule (1,000 mg) plus one Kirkland* G&C tablet. Each is dabbed in a bit of peanut butter to insure acceptability and immediate swallowing.

Her morning meal is dry Kirkland* kibble (1 c.) with, as dessert, 1-2 tablespoons of Craisins (dried sweetened cranberries) and one dried apricot.

*Kirkland -- the house/signature brand of Costco as "Kenmore" is for Sears. Costco is a member only warehouse club similar to Sam's Club but sometimes with better merchandise (as is the case with their dog food and some other things).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748