Hi, I used to come to the forums about 3 years ago. Some of you might remember me. I used to post under the nick LolaPrissyPaws.
Yesterday morning I woke up and Lola had thrown up in our hallway. The night before our daughter took her for a walk and she ended up eating SOMETHING. I'm not sure what. She's been pretty sick the last 24 hours. Yesterday she had diarrhea 3-4 times. Once this morning. She hasn't eaten but she is drinking water so she is staying hydrated. This morning she threw up. My question is this. At what point should I take her the the vet. How long do I wait to see if her stomach will get better and this will work itself out?
If it were me, I would call my vet and see what they say.
"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"
Yes, definitely at least call the vet to see what they say.
I hope Lola feels better soon!
thank you for taking the time to reply. I just got off the phone with our vet. He suggested we put her on pectillin and if not better by this evening to bring her in to be put on an iv.
thanks again for taking the time to reply.
TAKE HER TO THE VET NOW! I have 2 labs who ate something in the woods last Thursday. One of them died on Friday and the other is just barely hanging on with severe liver damage. We do not know what they might have eaten, but think it may have been poisonous mushrooms. If not that, most likely an animal carcass or feces that was badly contaminated with bacteria.
They both started vomiting on Thursday night. Took them to our vet Friday morning, where they spent the morning being hydrated, getting bloodwork, etc. The bloodwork showed nothing. When they left there late Friday afternoon, they were still feeling unwell, but the vet thought they would be okay. They were not. The toxin had not yet worked its way into their livers - it can sometimes take up to 24 hrs. or more - but when it did, our 6-year-old Bodie quickly went into organ shutdown and died. Please notice if your dog had excess salivation, which Bodie did, and which is one of the signs of one particular mushroom's poisoning.
This has been a huge year for mushrooms in our area because of the wet weather, and our vets have had several cases of poisoning. Your vet should check your dog's ALT levels to make sure her liver is okay. Good luck to you - hopefully she'll be okay, but please let me know. Dawn
thank you to the ones that replied. Lola is back to being her wiggly self. I put her on pectillin. By the evening she was back to her normal wiggly, happy self. We went ahead and took her to the vet just to make sure. It's so good to see her out of her kennel and back to taking over our recliner. lol
Dawn I am so sorry about your loss. I can't imagine life without Lola. She's everything to us.
Only the people on this site would understand they way we feel about our Lola.
Thank you again for replying and expecially to Laura and Dawn for taking the time to private message and email.