Rotation Feeding?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation Feeding?

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRotation Feeding?

Does anybody have any experience or opinions about this?

Bella is about 7 1/2 and was eating Canidae for the past 6+ years. She was doing quite well on it, but was starting to lose some of her enthusiasm for it, especially at breakfast. We decided to change her over to Nature's Variety Prairie (before the Canidae recipe change).

We are just about through the first bag of their venison formula and were thinking about trying the rotation diet (which Nature's Variety encourages). She seemed to really like the chicken sample so we were planning to go to that next, but we weren't sure if we should rotate every bag or maybe go through two bags of the venison before switching.

Any suggestions? Or opinions in general about rotation feeding?

Thanks.

Bella

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rotation Feeding?

Rotation is a great idea. I'd do it every couple of bags. I used to feed NV dry until they raised there prices I do love the food but with 8 lab it was to much $$ now I feed taste of the wild. I do have one boy still on NV the raw patties b/c thats the only thing that keeps his stool normal.
    Alicia

brody is offline Senior Member

I used to rotate until Sally came into our life

with Sally and her allergy and immune system issues her vet and her diet consultant both recommended NOT rotating food

with rotating you risk triggering intolerances or allergies apparently and you want to keep as many meat sources potentially available to a dog as possible in case of future problems

I had never thought of it that way and still do add a little variety to her diet (she eats chicken and sweet potato mainly - but occasionally has egg, mackeral or turkey) but I think overall in her case limiting her diet will have long term benefits
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think it is necessary if you feed a complete dry food, but equally I don't think it is a problem if your dog can handle it. I am pretty lucky with mine in that they don't have foody issues, so we rotate flavours between duck, salmon and chicken on the current brand of food that I am feeding.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

with rotating you risk triggering intolerances or allergies apparently and you want to keep as many meat sources potentially available to a dog as possible in case of future problems
    Not really rotating a diet reduces the risk of allergies and intolerances because any one specic protein is not being overfed – so the body does not become sensitive. If you keep feeding to same thing over and over the body for one gets board of that and two can develop allergies.
    http://www.floridachowchowclub.com/R..._Dogs_Food.htm
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    Thanks for the link to that article - very good info.

Bella

i knew somebody would correct me - somebody always does when it comes to any food things

all I can do is sit back and shut up or continue sharing what has worked for me - and what the experts have told me - like everything else advice on the net should be carefully investigated before being implemented ...

mil - I'm sure you are right in general terms and I'm sure your citation is also right - all I offer is specific case examples - and what has and hasn't worked

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    i knew somebody would correct me - somebody always does when it comes to any food things

all I can do is sit back and shut up or continue sharing what has worked for me - and what the experts have told me - like everything else advice on the net should be carefully investigated before being implemented ...

mil - I'm sure you are right in general terms and I'm sure your citation is also right - all I offer is specific case examples - and what has and hasn't worked
    Conrad, I really do appreciate you sharing your experiences and passing on what you've learned. The more information that I have to work with, the better decision I should (hopefully) be able to make. Obviously there is a wide range of opinions among "experts" and, without a doubt, different approaches work for different dogs.

Thanks for your perspective and definitely continue sharing what has worked for you.

Edited to add that upon rereading my response, I noticed my use of quoted "experts" and wanted to assure you that I wasn't puting quotes around your experts, just everybody else's.

Bella

thanks

I try not to take it personally and continue posting even knowing I'll get poked

I try to do what is best for the individual animals in my charge ..
    that's all I can share

( I didn't take your "experts" personally at all - I usually "," them too )

In general, what I've read from "experts" and various laypeople, is that the rotation diet does not generally trigger food intolerances, but is more likely to bring them to the forefront and make them harder to pinpoint. If you are feeding a different food every two weeks, and your dog has a reaction that is likely to be food-related - how do you know which food triggered it? With food reactions, you can often work with the ingredient list from your own food, introduing foods that contain different protein/carbohydrate sources. But if you don't know which food is causing the reaction, you have to rule out more sources.

The rule that my vet works on is that you should NOT give the more "unusual" foods - feed all you want in variety of chicken, beef, major protein/carb choices. But don't do the more "hard to find" choices. Then, if there are food intolerances, you can choose the hard-to-find proteins/carbs to feed to rule out the food intolerances. They will be more expensive, but they will at least be accessible.

Jackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast