Need help with itching on feet!!!

Thread: Need help with itching on feet!!!

DefaultNeed help with itching on feet!!!

I am a newbie here, however I did frequent here before when we got our first dog Jett. He's our black lab mix. About a year ago we rescued a chocolate lab from the local animal shelter. Her name is Jazmine and she's my baby girl. Just lately I have noticed that she is EXTREMELY itchy and has been chewing and gnawing on her feet non-stop. She has chewed away large spots of hair on her front and back paws and is always itching her belly and her snout. I have been giving her Benadryl twice a day as well as using a topical spray that I got from my neighbor, who is a vet tech. It doesn't seem to be helping much. I have noticed the itching seems to be worse on the days that we go to the dog park. After reading some of the other posts here, I am wondering if perhaps she has gotten worms? Jett does not seem to have any itching, and never really has since we switched his food about two years ago. They are both on Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Breed food. I feel so bad for my girl and she has a visit to the vet scheduled for Thursday, but I was just wondering if any of you had any ideas or suggestions on how to help relieve her discomfort and what might be causing in? Thank so much.

EDITED TO ADD:

We took the dogs to the beach for the first time last weekend. After her first time in the ocean (which she LOVED) is when I started noticing the more intense itching and biting of her feet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with itching on feet!!!

Did you try giving her a bath to wash off what ever is itchy to her? There is lots of pollens out there that are making everyone very itchy.
    Alicia

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

I would change to a grain free food and see if it stops the itching. It's amazing how that helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    Did you try giving her a bath to wash off what ever is itchy to her? There is lots of pollens out there that are making everyone very itchy.
    Just what I was going to suggest. It doesn't even have to be an all out bath. You can rinse her off with the hose or even wipe her down with a couple of baby wipes, too.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

This is a VERY common problem this time of year. I can only chalk it up to different types of grass or pollen that are not evident earlier in the year.
    I myself have been sick to death with my allergies these last few weeks. It will continue almost until the ground freezes for me.

A friend has a dog who started chewing at her feet last year at this time and is doing it again this year. The only thing we've come up with is there is something different in the ground (grass,weed,pollen) at her new location that at her old home.

I say try rinsing the feet.
    Kim