dry food, wet food or both?

Thread: dry food, wet food or both?

Defaultdry food, wet food or both?

I've been feeding Remi just dry food since we got him. He's on Wellness Puppy twice a day. When we give it to him we add a little bit of warm water to soften the kibble. He eats it....he just doesn't seem to go to his bowl with any gusto. Usually I put the bowl on the ground and he looks at me for a minute or two and then strolls over and eats, stops to go check out what the cats are eating in the other room and then goes back to his bowl when he realizes he can't get to their food. Sometimes he finishes, sometimes he doesn't.

He's been on antibiotics for the past 10 days for a dermal staph infection. We've been giving him his pills in balls of wet food....now that he LOVES!! He just about wiggles himself out of his skin waiting for his pills!

I was told by the feed store to not give him wet food as it would "just spoil him" and start a never ending need to always be on wet food. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dry food, wet food or both?

I was told by the feed store to not give him wet food as it would "just spoil him" and start a never ending need to always be on wet food. What do you think?
    Baloney.

How many Labs turn up their nose at dry OR wet food?

Puff's breakfast is of dry kibble and she has no problem eating that.

Puff's supper has a slice of salmon (half the size of the ordinary bacon slice) cooked in 1/2 cup of water, then with a cup of dry kibble mixed in to get wet along with a 1/2 cup of cooked frozen green beans.

He's been on antibiotics for the past 10 days for a dermal staph infection. We've been giving him his pills in balls of wet food....now that he LOVES!!
    Puff's had several of those staph infections on her belly. After curing the staph infection, the veterinarian dermatologist at KSU's CVM Tchng Hospl recommended 3x/wk use of a medicated shampoo ("Benzoyl Plus") which has been mighty helpful in preventing recurrences.

For administration of Puff's daily G&C tab and Fish Oil capsule, we use a dab of peanut butter on each. She certainly likes that. That's much easier for me than forming a food ball would be.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you have a self regulating Lab (which it sounds like you have), I personally wouldn't add the wet food unless you want to do it forever. You will find that if you add wet food now, he probably won't touch dry food on its own afterwards. However, if you don't mind adding some to his kibble each day, why not? it is a combination that works for many people. If you put a couple of spoon fulls in with each meal, one can should last a couple of days and you can keep the can in your refrigerator for freshness.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Abby's Dad is offline Member

I give Abigail 1/2 a can wet food with 1 cup of dry at dinner time. For breakfast I just give her 1-1/2 cups of dry. She has never turned anything down yet

Abigail's Dad

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We add a teaspoon of wet with the kibble for our 5 at every meal. Unless I have something better like left-over chicken or if I boil up some bison liver, I might add the broth with a few cubes of liver.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Jackson has never been much of an eater and was pretty thin...which wasn't good for a show dog. When his older "brother" got cancer and was on a high meat, low carb diet we started giving everyone a little canned food.
    Now each dog gets 1/3 canned food am and pm and leave good quality dry out all the time. The result was two older, over weight dogs that lost weight and one young skinny dog that gained weight. It has really worked out for us.