Giardia

Thread: Giardia

DefaultGiardia

My 5 month old lab puppy was diognosed with giardia and given a 10 day treatment of Metronidazole plus immodeum a.m and p.m. This did not slow down the diareha at all and so we were given 5 days of Panacur. Tomorrow is the last round of this medication and still no relief. I have cleaned puppy poop from more places than you can imagine and cannot get very far with house-breaking. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of treatment that we should consider now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Giardia

Are they sure it's giardia or are they guessing?

The protocol I use is 7 days on panacur, 7 days off, then another 5 days on. In extremely bad cases, I will do Metronidazole and Pancur for the first 7 days, then follow the rest of the protocol. It's pretty rare that I have to do both. Maybe once in five years with one of the dogs.

Make sure you are cleaning up the poop outside and in so the dog isn't just reinfecting itself.

Laura

Thank you for your reply. I think they are pretty sure it is giardia. In layman's terms I think the more normal test is to put the poop in a centrifuge and spin the cysts(?) to the top and this test came back negative but a more finite test that was used showed some of the cysts, eggs whatever that had been "sluffed". At the time I thought the first round of antibiotics was more of a precaution, but about that time the awful diarrhea started so there could be something else going on too. He is walked on leash so no chance to get "standing"poop. I had considered changing his food--right now eating Solid Gold puppy that is a lamb and brown rice formulation but was doing well on it before and didn't want to change another variable. I feel so bad for him--this a.m. right after we had been out and done everything--he had another accident right before we could get out the door.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I wonder if something else is going on too. The panacur usually stops giardia pretty quickly. I wouldn't change foods right now. You don't want to cause any more digestive upset at this point.

Talk to your vet about doing the double therapy. This is not normal with giardia.

Laura