Tapeworms....gross!

Thread: Tapeworms....gross!

Remi is offline Member

DefaultTapeworms....gross!

So Remi started dragging his rear around the house two days ago. We thought it might be dry skin or something like that because he's been getting daily medicated baths for a skin infection....wishful thinking. Today we were out at the barn and Remi pooped...I went to go pick it up and saw a little white thing (looked like rice) squirming around. I just about lost my cookies! So...go figure this happens on a Friday evening going into a holiday weekend and my vet won't be back in the office til Tuesday. I went to the pet store and they suggested I buy this stuff called D-Worm and give it to him, I was told it's the same thing the vets give. Anyone ever heard of it and/or used it? Short of it being a major gross factor is it safe to wait until next week to bring him to the vet or should I take him to the emergency vet? Never had to deal with worms so I'm kinda at a loss. I would love it if I could use this over-the-counter stuff but a friend of mine also told me I shouldn't risk it and just wait. Any advice?? :vomit:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tapeworms....gross!

I don't know about the over the counter stuff but be careful because you can catch taperworms from your pup.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Strangly enough, I just dealt with this this week with Bono :vomit: My vet tech friend told me to buy the exactly same thing you're talking about and it cleared him right up...although he was a little gassy for a day or two.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

D-worm Tapeworm is praziquantel. That is most likely what your vet would 'perscribe' often in the form of 'drontal' but it is readily available OTC.
    Kim