Suggested puppy food?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggested puppy food?

tphilli is offline Member

DefaultSuggested puppy food?

I am getting a Chocolate Lab Puppy in a couple of weeks (I'm picking him out tomorrow, and I'm SO excited!!!) and I am looking for any suggestions or advice on what kind of puppy food to give him and what kind of routine, and measurements he should be kept on. I thought this forum would be a good place to start since your all so experienced with labs.

Thanks! Your time and thoughts are much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suggested puppy food?

What is the breeder feeding him?

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would keep him on what the breeder is feeding intially. Then if you want to change for whatever reason, do it after a couple of weeks when the pup has settled in. However, if the food is good quality and the pup is doing well on it, you don't really need to change what you are feeding at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The breeder probably has the pups on that food for reason - it works well for them.

Your breeder should also advise you on how much to feed and when to feed. They will probably give you a diet sheet for reference.

Best of the luck with the new pup! don't forget to post pictures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. Find out what he is being fed now and find a bag of that. Pups go thru SO MANY changes when they come into your life, it's best to keep them on the same food for a few weeks at the very least. Plus your breeder must be feeding something that works for their dogs.

Same goes for amount, ask the breeder! They are in the best position to guide you for now.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Ok, wow you guys work fast! Good news and Bad news, Good news: I have my puppy! his name is Dakota, he's actually black though - these breeders weren't very experienced, they were actually arguing over whether he was male or female (he is male for sure, I know that much for sure lol) But bad news is we didn't expect to get him right away so we weren't really prepared for him. My husband saw the food he was on (they just had a bunch there and were allowing them to eat what they want, I'm not going to be doing that) but it was late and we only had time to go to one store and they didnt have that brand so I got a small bag of the best I could find for now. I gave him 1/2 a cup last night and 1/2 a cup this morning and will continue to do so 3 times a day until I see a vet or any changes in him or his bowel movements. Does that sound okay? The brand is Purina Puppy Chow

I also have some questions about his whimpering and housetraining but I'm going to put that in another section. Thanks again for all your time and help! and I will post pics as soon as I get this darn camera installed on my computer, my dad just reformatted it and now I can't find the disc anywhere! :ugly:

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

How old is he? Why can't you pick up the phone and ask what the breeder was feeding?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by tphilli
    My husband saw the food he was on (they just had a bunch there and were allowing them to eat what they want, I'm not going to be doing that) but it was late and we only had time to go to one store and they didnt have that brand so I got a small bag of the best I could find for now.
    I know what kind they were feeding him but couldn't find it. The breeder is located in a different town too, over an hour away so I can't go to the same place, but I'm sure if I shop around I could find it. And he is 7 and 1/2 weeks old, he has been dewormed but hasn't had his needles yet - but I am already calling around to all the local vets to make an appointment.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

What was he on? We might be able to suggest something similar.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good luck with the pup. Since the breeders couldn't even determine the sex of the puppy, I would get him to the vet for a complete check up as soon as possible. I am guessing they probably didn't do clearances on the parents either. You may want to begin some research as to finding a better food than Purina Puppy Chow.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

these breeders weren't very experienced, they were actually arguing over whether he was male or female (he is male for sure, I know that much for sure lol)
    Yikes. These people don't exactly sound like the most reputable of breeders, but what is done is done. I agree with getting the pup to the vets for a full checkup as soon as you can.

Try one of the Purina ProPlan puppy formulas. ProPlan is much better quality than Purina Puppy Chow and is readily available in most places.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast