13 yr old lab with arthritis stiffness/pain

Thread: 13 yr old lab with arthritis stiffness/pain

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Default13 yr old lab with arthritis stiffness/pain

My senior lab is having some arthritis pain and stiffness these days.
    We have her on Wellness fish diet plus l bufferin a day, glucosamine and vit C.
    Would giving her either salmon oil or flax oil help her with her stiffness and pain??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 13 yr old lab with arthritis stiffness/pain

Have you tried MSM?
    <br />Oregon

I did try it awhile ago. Thanks for reminding me, I will try that again.
    What about though the oils either flax or fish,would they help as well?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Fish oil is supposed to help with inflammation, so I would start her on that for sure. I haven't heard great things about supplementing dogs with flax oil. Also, be sure to add a bit of vitamin E when supplementing with fish oil.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Have you tried Adequan?
    <br />Oregon

Yes. Forgot to mention that sorry.
    She has had the first series of shots, 2 per week for 4 weeks and then about three more over one more month and she is actually worse since the last shot two weeks ago. The vet tech gave it higher up her body almost to her shoulders and not in the hip area. She has to have them under the skin and not in the muscle has it hurt her too much.

She goes for another one this Friday. Not sure whether we should be seeing more results by now.
    Think the supplements help better.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

you can go to an aspirin both morning & evening, assuming they are both given with food.
    however, it may be past that time, please consider Rimadyl, as your dog's quality of life is what is important now.
    we just lost our Daisy this spring, she was on glucosamine/chondritin, Rimadyl, Ester-C, and omega complex, plus we tried several 'over-the-counter' remedies...such as hyaluric [sp?] acid gel.....which all worked for awhile, then not-so-much. she was successful with aspirin [final dose per day 1200 mg doggie chewable given one 600 mg tab with each feeding, twice a day] for several years before ramping up to the Rimadyl.
    CLEAN RUN Magazine [the Agility publication] has numerous over-the-counter remedies in their on-line store, and you can sometimes score free samples at Agility events, or by contacting the vendors directly.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have had wonderful success with using Osteo Bi Flex Triple Strength with MSN. One in the AM one in the PM and also two scoops (AM and PM) of Nature's Farmacy CCM Plus.
    We were using just the Osteo Bi Flex for the longest time but she started having real problems sitting down and getting back up from the sitting position. She would strain and moan with pain. So we started adding the CCM Plus and have not heard a moan since. That was....a year...maybe 2 years ago now??
    Kim

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When my Shepherd was achy and struggling to walk f(actually was so bad I had to carry her in and out of the house) rom the Lyme symptoms she had, she got great relief with Rimadyl. I was not a fan of this medication prior - and I would never give it to a younger dog long term - but it really worked remarkably well for Lucy when she needed it.

You should try out the other remedies, but if she is not getting relief from them - try Rimadyl out. It will likely really improve her quality of life.
    Sharon