Does anyone here administer their own dog's vaccinations?

Thread: Does anyone here administer their own dog's vaccinations?

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultDoes anyone here administer their own dog's vaccinations?

Just curious, as I was looking around on the web for puppy and dog info and came across a site that sells vaccines and medications for pets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I do, everything but her rabies. I do have to say I gave her them this year, will titer her from now on, and will only vaccinate if needed. Just a personal choice. Its no big deal to do it yourself, I keep the sticker and keep her immunization record up. Anytime I take her in the vet will up date her file to show she has received anything I have given her. Not all vets will do this so check with yours.

justine is offline Senior Member

You need to be very careful with buying vaccines and giving them to your dog, because a lot of veterinarians will not honor them unless they are given under the supervision of a veterinarian.

Also be careful which brand or kind of vaccines you buy since many of the reputable brands will not sell to any kind of pet store or regular person, only to vet offices. A lot of the online places will sell off-brand or outdated vaccines, so watch out for that, too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Yep I do. I can buy them from the chemist and have also brougt them from the vet believe it or not! Life is different here!
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Marmot is offline Member

I was just curious because I noticed that Rosie's breeder had given her her first vaccines, I didn't know it was possible and then I saw the vaccines for sale on line. I do enough injections a day as it is, my son is a diabetic, so I'm pretty good at administering shots.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

I do, but then again, I'm a senior veterinary student....so it's basically like having my vet do it, since I'm pretty much my dog's vet.

Rabies can only be done by an accredited veterinarian. If it's administered by someone else, it will likely be just as effective, but you will be unable to get your animal's health certificate, and therefore be unable to license your dog. You'll also be without any good protection should your dog bite anyone - without veterinary administered rabies vaccination the dog will be considered to be unvaccinated.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Marmot is offline Member

I was just curious, and I will be leaving all vaccinations to my vet. I just wasn't aware that these vaccines and the syringes were available to the public.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Some breeders in the US do (we can't get them here in Canada, have to be done by a vet) but wanted to make it clear that the puppy should still be seen by a vet before you bring it home!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I did my own puppy shots for my crew. BUT they still went in and each had a wellness exam a few days before pick up day. I also did my own boosters for my 2 young ones. But I actually don't do vaccinations past that other than rabies.

Justine, I don't know what you mean about vets not honoring injections not done by a vet. My vet has absolutely no problem with me doing my own. The ONLY problem I would forsee is if you take your dog to daycare or board them, THEN you'll need the vet receipt document because most of those places even get pissy over titers.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think perhaps she meant the manufacturer of the vaccine will not stand behind it if not given by a vet.

Its the same with Interceptor. They will not stand behind it if bought on line.