Allergies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultAllergies

Calli has been on a antibiotic for a week now, she has four more days. The last two she has really been itching, I thought if I just waited that the antibiotic would clear it up.

I ran the flea comb over her back and her under coat comes out with all this flaky white dandruffy looking stuff.

She wakes up itchy, she goes to bed itchy. I had enough and called the vet. Hes going to put her on a combo steroid and antihistamine. He said its an allergy? I dont have a clue, I just feel bad for her.

I didnt get to talk to the vet, just the front desk. Isnt she a bit young for a steroid (11 weeks)? Now I trust my vet but I know everyone has differing opinions.

Wondering also if anyone has any idea on what it could be? TIA

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Allergies

What on earth is the vet basing that on? the only way to test accurately for allergies is through allergy testing.

What is she on antibiotics for? personally I wouldn't give a puppy steroids. Even if she did have an allergy, it would be unlikely to show at such a young age.

It is not uncommon for a puppy to have dandruff.

I dont know what hes basing it on. I just didnt know if I wanted to start her on steroids. She had puppy dermatitis(sp?) on her lower belly. So shes been on clavamox. That since has gone away, but he said to finish the antibiotic.

One more question and it might be dumb :embarrass: But she has alot of dandruff, if thats even what it is. Is on her ears her back all the way to her butt. I did brush her today with a slicker (very lightly) and most of it came out. When I first noticed it it felt like little bumps on her butt. What else could that be?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Manda Leigh is offline Junior Member

You know? My dog has similar problems. He has the dandruff, and he gets hot spots on his belly, and he recently had a whole bunch of bumps on his head that have made a little bit of hair come out on each bump. I have had him to the Vet repeatedly and I was told it was an allergy too. It's just that the hot spots were caused by the allergy (whatever he is allergic to, I don't know). Then the hot spots got infected, so he was on antibiotics. I was told to give him benadryl when I first notice irritation, it seems to help, he hasn't had to be on antibiotics any more. Maybe that will help you avoid steroids. Braxton apparently had very sensitive skin, and that's the best answer I was able to get. :suspious: But my problem isn't totally cleared up, and he's a year and half now.

Anyone with any other ideas for us?

I went to the local pet store around here and bought fish oil in a pump bottle. Im going to try and fix it with out steroids. I just dont want to give her those yet (if I have to at all). She goes in two weeks for her shots so I'll get him to look at ther then.

labrdogs is offline Junior Member

i would say stick with the fish oil that will help the coat the most. it sounds like the pup has dry skin. has she been bathed? if so how often and with what. if very often the oils have been washed out of her skin and coat. If she is dirty just rinse her off with the hose. i would use for now an oatmeal shampoo if you have to bath her, helps with the dry skin, after that just use baby shampoo.

I did bath her once, and that could have been it. But this seemed a bit extreme for one bath. I do have oatmeal shampoo, and I already started the fish oil so we will see. Thanks.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I did bath her once, and that could have been it. But this seemed a bit extreme for one bath. I do have oatmeal shampoo, and I already started the fish oil so we will see. Thanks.
    Is that an oatmeal shampoo for HUMANS or one specifically for DOGS?

Sometimes people use a baby shampoo on dogs with the reasoning that should be very mild.

It's not.

The pH of human skin -- whether adult or baby -- is much more acidic than dog skin so using any human shampoo is very irritating to dogs.

NEVER USE A SHAMPOO FOR HUMANS ON DOGS. The most thorough rinsing with water afterwards does not reverse the injury created by the initial acidic contact.

Using human shampoo (rather than dog shampoo) easily causes dandruff and skin shedding and itchiness in dogs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

one bath can do a lot of damage even if it is oatmeal.
    I also think Lab coats are HARD to bath and get rinsed out. It may feel like you got all the soap out but it is very easy to miss it all. For this reason I NEVER bath my dogs.

I would give your dog another good long rinse with water just to be certain.

Have you done anything else? Change food, what do you feed? put anything on your lawn? Where do you live? What has the weather been like?
    Dry skin to me does not make me think allergy.
    Kim

Garth is offline Registered Users

Anyone with any other ideas for us?
    Are either of your dogs sleeping on woolen blankets?. Wool is notorious as a skin irritant in a lot of dogs. If so, replace the blanket with a non wool fabric. If they sleep on the bed with you on a blanket, cover it with a sheet.

As for an 11 week pup on steroids?. I've never heard of such a young dog on steroids. Most vets only prescribe steroids as a last resort.

I'd be looking for a second opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast