Puppy's first few hours
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy's first few hours

DefaultPuppy's first few hours

If a puppy has a near death experience in the first few hours of being born (namely nearly freezing to death), what are the chances of this effecting the pup later in life? Reason i ask is because i veiwed some pups today who all look like normal pups, but the breeder was saying there were one or 2 pups that came out first outside, as the mother of them wasnt showing signs of labor. Since it was cold outside they almost froze before the breeder could get them warm. It worrys me cause she said that she thought one was actually dead, but turns out it wasnt. Is this anything to worry about since the potential pup i want is in that litter somewhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy's first few hours

is this by the same lady that is breeding brother and sister from same litter? :suspious:
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    is this by the same lady that is breeding brother and sister from same litter? :suspious:
    Yup. :scare:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johno
    And you're going to buy her pups?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Johno
    And you're going to buy her pups?
    Not a chance if I dont trust what she's doing. I know a some people have some hiccups when their pups are born and some need to be resuscitated etc....but i just wonder what kind of damage is done.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Is this anything to worry about since the potential pup i want is in that litter somewhere.
    You are or you are not getting a pup from this breeder. Now I am confused.

I do not know if there could be any long term effect from being that cold for so long.
    I do know if my bitch were that close to her due date she would NOT be outside going potty with out me! Signs of labor or not.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    Is this anything to worry about since the potential pup i want is in that litter somewhere.
    You are or you are not getting a pup from this breeder. Now I am confused.

I do not know if there could be any long term effect from being that cold for so long.
    I do know if my bitch were that close to her due date she would NOT be outside going potty with out me! Signs of labor or not.
    I said "potential" pup, meaning if all is right. So far its sounding far from right.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Inbred puppies, puppies nearly freezing to death...everything sounds wrong with this 'breeder'. I strongly suggest that you look elsewhere for a puppy.

labby is offline Senior Member

I've had puppies born outside. However, I was right there to scoop them up and take them inside.

Laura

labrdogs is offline Junior Member

the big question I have was the breeding intentional, it sounds like whoops oh well, but we can make money on it type situation with the little information I have read above.

a pup that is chilled can be brought back, a lot would depend on the duration as well as if the heart was pumping and breathing continued even if shallow. Testing of the pups is advised to test for brain activity and how it goes about its daily activities like walking and playing.

I have had pups that were born outside, though never chilled as I have been right there to scoop them up and run inside with the pup in my shirt. I have also had slow starters that needed a little help. In neither situation has this affected the life of the puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast