More on Heart Worm Meds+ Survey

Thread: More on Heart Worm Meds+ Survey

olducker is offline Senior Member

DefaultMore on Heart Worm Meds+ Survey

I realize I have posted on this quite a bit recently, but I find out more each day and none of it is good.

Had a conversation with Hunter last week, he is a pro guide and has connections with several large kennels in SE- Missouri.

His feelings are that HW ARE of control in SE Missouri, and that the breeders are fighting a drug resistant strain of heart worms.

Most breeders in the area are not trusting pill meds at all and have switched to Ivemec. Some are giving a dose the first and fifteenth of the month, double dosing.

From what I have read and the people I have talked to in the past 3 months, SE Missour, Illinois, Indiana and Ky are having the greatest problem.

I would be interested in how you feel things are going in your state and if you respond, let me know which state.

Several of our local vets are having a meeting about this and I would like to take this information to share with them.

If nothing else, become pro active and talk with your vet. I would recommend leaving pets on meds year round and possibly checking twice a year.

Thanks
    Tim
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labrdogs is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: More on Heart Worm Meds+ Survey

up here in WI we have a bad skeeter issue this year. I use ivomec liquid already, dose once a month at a rate of point 1 cc per 10 pounds of weight. as of yet I have not heard that there is a dug resistant hw up here.

olducker is offline Senior Member

First let me say that Hunters' opinion is not absolute,BUT it is very valuable. Just because of his many contacts.

We met with the vets on Thursday and feel they came up with a great game plan for future heart worm treatment.

They had really done their research. They said the manufactures are doing studies on this problem !!!!

We are going with interceptor on the first of the month and Revolution on the 15th. These are two different meds to achieve maximum protection.

This may even be a better option than Ivemec or the double dosing of the Ivemec, But is very [expensive $$$$$$.] eH

This could be an option for others that feel they are in A "hot" zone fOR HW.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

HW are an issue year round here in OK. The local animal shelter that I volunteer at gets somewhere around 3 out of every 10 dogs HW poss. Of course most of these dogs have probably never been on any type of preventative.

It would make sense to rotate HW meds, horse owners have been encourage to rotate wormers for years now so the same principle would apply, wouldn't it?

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

BillieIsMyKid is offline Senior Member

I haven't been keeping up on your threads but I live in KC and just had my dog treated for heartworm last year.

I adopted her from Colorado the year before, she tested hw clear at the rescue but the vet and I are 50/50 on whether that was a false negative or whether she got the hw here despite me having her on Heartguard Plus. I did miss a couple of months that previous winter but a lot of people around here do that (I didn't do it intentionally but when I realized what I'd done I jumped back on it).

Anyway, she was treated (obviously expensive and hard on her) and she's fine. I won't miss a dose again. EVER. :no:

Might be worth talking to my vet about rotating too. Wonder if she's aware of the research going on? I'll have to ask.