salmonella poisoning

Thread: salmonella poisoning

the kids is offline Junior Member

Defaultsalmonella poisoning

My two 5 month old (large, he's 58 lbs, and she's 45 lbs.) pups got a hold of wild pig bones the day before yesterday. We live in Hawaii and they were butchering one of the pigs they trapped. Last evening she had the runs and again this am. She still has a lot of energy but she refused to eat this am, which is really unlike her. I'm concerned that it might be salmonella poisoning, Does anyone know something I could give her to firm up her stools or should I just get her to the vets. She doesn't seem to have any intestinal pain. His stools were slightly soft, but absolutely nothing stops him from eating. Would love some input. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: salmonella poisoning

Salmonella is very rare in dogs. A dogs digestive system is designed to handle raw meat and bones. Many, many people actually feed their dogs a completely natural raw diet, so I wouldn't worry too much. However, if she has never had raw meat or bones, she may experience a stomach upset for the first time which may account for her refusing to eat. Having diarrhea can also make them go off their food.

I would withhold food until tomorrow morning. Then in the morning, give her a bland meal of something like chicken and rice. This should help bind her up. After this her poops may be loose but shouldn't be liquid. If so, feed as normal the next day. If the diarrhea persists, get to a vet ASAP.

the kids is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: salmonella poisoning

Thanks for the input. My pups are from a breeder that has all of her dogs on a raw diet. I just couldn't keep up with it, so I do supplement them with raw meat and bones. Although this was the first time they had ever had wild pig, I had been staying away from it. Glad to hear though that its harder for them to get salmonella. I am watching them closely today, and I'm boiling chicken for broth as we speak. thanks for the info,