Gas Issues

Thread: Gas Issues

markh58 is offline Junior Member

DefaultGas Issues

I thought I had settled on food for the boys, but now it's hard to live with them and their gas :vomit: .
    I switched them to "Instinct" (thoughts on quality appreciated) http://www.naturesvariety.com/instin...kibble_chicken
    (just about finished with their 1st 25lb bag) Do you think this will settle down after another bag, or is it an issue of this not being the right food choice for them and I should go looking again? We work from home and with the two of them with us 24/7 it's unpleasant to say the least. If I switch I'm considering the following 2 brands;
    http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dog...lt-chick.shtml
    http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com/bw2000.htm

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

skippin is offline Member

DefaultRe: Gas Issues

I am not much of an advisor on food, since most food stuff is based on opinions, but having worked in a feed store that sold Blackwood, I would not recommend it at all. We had about 60% of bags come back after the sale, with many complaints ranging from quality control issues to allergies and illness from the food. We spoke with quite a few other retailers and they said they had the same problems. Better to not take the chance. Some dogs are fine with it, but quite a few are not. (we also sold SD, Iams, Euk, Natures Variety, Nutro, and all of the raws, plus a bunch of super premiums that I can't remember the names of) If you are only on your first bag of the Natures Variety, I would do a second bag and see what happens. It can take up to a month for a dog to adjust to new food. NV is also a heavy kind of food (veggies and meat), and some dogs get gassy from that until they adjust. My dogs like to pass gas in the car. I think they save it up...

markh58 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by skippin
    My dogs like to pass gas in the car. I think they save it up...
    I feel your pain :death:
    Thxs for the advice, I've recently heard other negative comments on Blackwood (off the list). I'm trying a bag (40lb) of Nature's Recipe, suggested by another gas suffer. So we'll see...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Hate to tell you but I feed Princee Nature's Recipe - vegetarian - she has been eating this for at least a year and for the past month her "farts" are just awful.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

You could try adding prozyme to there food it helps with gas http://www.prozymestore.com/
    Alicia

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

When we switched HK to Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice (no corn or wheat), from Eukanuba LBP it was like turning OFF the gas valve. She has done great on this food.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I finally found a food that both my boys are doing well on ... and we have no gas problems! Let me tell you, that is a major accomplishment. I'm feeding them Wellness Core, the Ocean variety.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Oooh...gassy dogs. I have no suggestions, only sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    When we switched HK to Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice (no corn or wheat), from Eukanuba LBP it was like turning OFF the gas valve. She has done great on this food.
    Many of the puppy formulations lead to pretty noxious farts. Otis was on Hill's LBP and his farts could clear a room. Honestly, I would go looking for the pile of poop, they were that bad. As soon as we switched him to the adult formula, the farts were gone.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.