Diatomaceous Earth- Where do you purchase it from and what type?

Thread: Diatomaceous Earth- Where do you purchase it from and what type?

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiatomaceous Earth- Where do you purchase it from and what type?

I have found three places to purchase this online, Natures Farmacy, Dirt Works, Wolf Creek Ranch. I am going to use it topically and in the carpet to combat ticks and fleas.
    Anyone have experience w/ any of these online retailers or the different types, Dirt Works has several options.

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceou...ssilshellflour

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/index.php

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/wh...roduct.html#DE

Thanks,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diatomaceous Earth- Where do you purchase it from and what type?

the stuff is readily available at garden supply stores and/or swimming pool supply places, including garden department and pool chemical area of Wal-Mart, Job Lot, and so forth. 10 lbs [a BIG box!] should be under $15, easily.
    it is actually the teensy skeletons of marine creatures, the kind that make coral reefs.
    there are 2 grades, the agricultural is coarser [to repel slugs], the pool grade is finer for use in pool filters.
    either grade is NOT good to breath, also it can be irritating to skin, especially if trapped in fur, as it is 'faceted' and sharp-edged under a microscope.
    the breathing/ingesting thing would not be something i would expose my kids, critters, or me to especially inside the home.

imported_eastcoastmom is offline Senior Member

It's carried everywhere here. i use it for ant control.
    "Find out who you are and do it on purpose."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I would stay clear of the pool grade and it is advised to not be used for pest control. If your looking for just ground pest control you should be able to find what you need at a garden shop.
    I have used both Growmore and Concern brand.
    Kim

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

where ever you buy it from just make sure its food grade. pool grade will poison or kill animals.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/diatearth.htm

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

?? it's NEVER ''food grade'', it is the [mined/dug] exoskeletons of minute sea critters, the only difference is whether the exoskeletons are slightly ground-up or left whole. the reason it repels slugs, ants, etc. is, they dislike the gritty feeling. the reason it makes a great pool filter material [not interchangeable with sand filters!] is the large surface area of each tiny piece, which traps the pool glop.
    ALL boxes of the stuff say avoid inhalation, the roughness will irritate the lung tissue. and without running out to the pool house, i'll bet it says not to eat it, either.
    IMO it is strictly for outdoor use on plants or for filters, not something i would rub into My hair. and since fleas have very hard shells, as do ticks, i doubt it would phase them much anyway.

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

It is used in the garden to control slugs. I would never use it if I own a dog or cat. It is so powder fine that it gets into the lungs very easily. Also since it is made up of shells, coral, etc. it is very sharp. Can cause major lung problems.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I purchase mine from Nature's Farmacy. Always use food grade DE.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC