Anyone have a dog with epilepsy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a dog with epilepsy?

RachelR is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyone have a dog with epilepsy?

My 6 year old male had a seizure today for the very first time. Very violent, pee'd and pooped on himself, I rushed him to the vet and the doctor told me alot of people do the wait and see with seizures before they medicate, and its his recommendation we begin medicating him now. He said the drugs take a while to start working.

He said if my son had a seizure and the doctor told me to wait for the next one to start medicating Id probably be looking for another doctor and that makes alot of sense.

My nephew had a cat with maybe 4 seizures a year. My dog is 87 pounds so his seizures are pretty scarey.

We are doing a bunch of tests on him, but I pick up his medication tomorrow.

Did anyone do the wait and see....what was the outcome? Is this common in Labs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone have a dog with epilepsy?

it can take awhile to get the meds in balance - usually IME we start at a fairly low dose and take our time figuring out what the best level is for the animal

I have had a few fosters with seizures (some with epilepsy some as the result of other issues) hang in there and take your time making choices

I'm hoping you can get him stable quickly

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

If it was my dog I would take the wait and see program and find a holistic vet. Are they checking a full thyroid panel? If he just has one or two a year with no meds IMO that no big deal. What kind of food is he eating? Anything that he could have gotten into?
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He is on a raw diet. I dont have any pills in the house, plants, pesticides...anything like that. I didnt even treat him for fleas this year because Im trying to go all natural with him.

Hes never around anything harmfull.....and nothing has changed recently to make them start now.

The way he explained the wait and see thing is, he told me most vets dont medicate after the first one, the drug sometimes takes 30 to 60 days to begin to help him, so he will probably seize until that time. He said in all likely hell be an infrequent seizer but hes worried about one of them leaving him brain dead.

Im worried if I wait, and he does have more, one will kill him and itll be because I chose to sit this out.

And yes they are checking the full thyroid panel. They also did an EKG. I get the results tomorrow.

The first drug was phenobarbitol, he said it has alot of side effects and if I read stuff on the internet Id find alot of people who didnt like it, it was his recommendation we use another drug, for the life of me I cant remember the name, he said for my dog he thinks itd be better for him in the long run. He said its safe, if we take him off of it at a certain time he'll be ok the only thing is it takes longer to help him then the phenobarbitol.

He left it completely up to myself....I was just really proding with what he felt was best because I havent had experience with this.

I dont think Im a lucky enough person to have this never occur again and Id hate to have him go though more, I know their unconscious but its terrible to watch.

brody is offline Senior Member

was the other drug potasium bromide?

I think you are making good careful thought out choices for him

and if you can wean him off meds and never have another seizure your vet sounds like (s)he's trying to protect you both as best they can but will be willing to work WITH you - something so essential to managing health issues

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

bbbmom is offline Senior Member

Thank you for posting this subject. I too am dealing with my rescue who has had 2 very minor seizures in the past 6 months when he never had them before (3-4 years). I'm wrestling with the wait and see approach as well. Please keep us posted!

Garth is offline Registered Users

One of my Pugs was epileptic. He took his 1st fit when he was about a year old. We had him on phenobarbitol every day & he lived until he was 15 without any side effects from the drugs. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones. There's some excellent information on epilepsy & the various drugs used to treat it here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&EVetID=221632

The thing you have to remember from now on is to keep him as quite as possible until you & your vet have worked out the appropriate dose of meds to give him. That can take about 2 - 4 weeks. If you have young kids, they need to be taught not to get him too excited as getting him too worked up can trip a fit also. If you have other dogs, they'll need supervising too especially if you've got a really hypo one that likes stirring him up. That was my biggest problem.

When he passes out, you need to keep him quiet. Don't try & move him & let him come around in his own time. This can take anywhere from about 2 - 10 minutes. Any longer & I'd be on the phone to the vet.

PLEASE don't even think about breeding from him. So many cases are hereditary but it sounds like in your case, the fact he's being ok until now suggests it's caused by something else which hopefully your vet will be able to diagnose & treat accordingly. In my case, I proved it was hereditary by talking to other people in the Pug club who knew my dogs background & could name all his relations that they knew of that had the same problem including a couple of his brothers. I rang the breeder & begged her to never breed from that line again but she wouldn't listen because she was too obsessed with championship points to care - something I never forgave her for.

Good luck with your poor guy. I hope you can get it under control soon.

Thanks for all your help.

He is neutered so no worries there.

Keeping him calm will be hard. Coincidently he was barking at someone in front of the house when he dropped and went into the fit.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a lab with genetic epilepsy. He generally had 1-2 seizures a year from the time he was about three (he lived to be 13). (His Dad had his first epileptic seizure at 4...after he had sired a bunch of puppies, 3/4 of which turned out to be epileptic). Because drugs like phenobarbitol and Primadone don't totally eliminate all seizures, our vet suggested not to medicate unless the seizures increased in frequency. These drugs are sedative in nature and do change a dogs personality a little (some for the better!).
    Anyway, unless the dog has an organic reason for the seizures (tumor, illness etc.) it is very unlikely brain damage will occur in a seizure. Epilepsy is an electrical storm in the brain, its not oxygen deprivation which is generally the culprit in brain damage.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I had a dog with epilepsy, and sadly lost him at 17 months old. He had been on Pheno for three months before he passed away.

One of the things recommended to me was to have his thyroid panel run thought the Michigan State University lab.

Best of luck with your boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast