Advise please.....my dog is sick.

Thread: Advise please.....my dog is sick.

puppy2002 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvise please.....my dog is sick.

Need some advise please....Niki turned six in March she has always been very healthy, no major issues. Has been on Nutro (different types for ever!) In May, she had an accident in the house. She has never had one since she came to live with us at 8 weeks old, therefore we knew something was wrong. We were right. She had diarrhea, slimy stools for about 4 days. We took her to the vet who put her on metrodinazole for 2 weeks and a bland diet. Vet also did a stool sample, which indicated there were no parasites, ect. In July, it happened again. Again, the vet put her on metrodinazole, this time for 3 weeks and he prescribed food (from the vet, sorry don't remember what it's called). We did a 3 week treatment with the medicine and 5 weeks with the food. Then we switched back to nutro gradually. She got sick again for two days, so we decided to try Eukanuba Sensitive stomach. She did great for 4 days and yesterday, she had diarrhea with slimy, water stools again. I am so worried at this point, I don't know what to do. She is drinking plenty of water and is still active and is still being herself.

What is the next step? Should we try another food? The vet has done extensive analysis on the stool sample (a second time). We have an appt tomorrow but I am so worried.

Any advice, comments, suggestions would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.
    <br /><br />Sylvia and Nikita

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lidosdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice sick.....my dog is sick.

I don't have any real advice for you, but my dog has had trouble like this since he was a little puppy. He is super sensative tummy guy. Any time he eats something other than his Eukenuba large breed food, and milkbones, he gets sick. He can't stomach a single taste of a treat other than that. I always get upset like you are too, so I understand.

Does your pup get anything at all other than their food, and regular treats? Anyone feeding extras? Lido can't even have rawhide anymore. He gets sick for days, and it's nasty green liquid. I think the bleach in those things gets him.

Good luck, and good thoughts.

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advise please.....my dog is sick.

Since she has been checked out and treated at the vets, I would suggest trying different food. Vets really don't know all that much about nutrition ( apologies to any vets here who have done additional research into food) and often have the brand that they learned about in school (from the dealer of the food). I'm NOT an expert, but I know that many people here have gone through lots of different kinds of food to find the right thing for their dog. Even withing the same brand of food, there are several different types. Have you tried going "grainless"? Good luck and I hope your doggie feels better soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

Yeah, go with a different food, but start really really really slow. Instead on making the transition over 7 days, make it over 14 or more days.

If the dog does well on the vet food, get more of it for now...get the dog's stomach back to normal again for about a week and then slowly introduce the new food over a 14 day period. Do not rush it - even if it takes you 3 -4 week to make the switch.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Any possibility of giardia or coccidiosis? These parasites are very hard to find in stool samples especially when its diarrhea and that's exactly what they cause!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My Shepherd had slimy stools for a long time until I eliminated beef from her diet - apparently she cannot tolerate it.

Does not mean your dog has an issue with beef - just something in her diet is inflaming her lower intestine.

If she were my dog, I would put her on a ground chicken and rice diet for a week to calm everything down. Then you might want to try a better food without grain or a food with a novel form of protein (like duck or fish).

I used to have my dogs on Nutro - I think the quality is not so great anymore. I use Wellness CORE for both of them now - it is grain free.
    Sharon

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC