Ticks / Fleas how to identify and contend...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks / Fleas how to identify and contend...

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

DefaultTicks / Fleas how to identify and contend...

Anyone who has read my posts here in the past know I detest ticks. So I have been trying to be proactive in catching them early, we have had a terrible year w/ them. I literally have pulled off 30 of them this season, a couple attached and most of them crawling.

We did a forest hike on Thursday and I sprayed her w/ Neem which had been working, no ticks found after using this spray. I did not find any ticks after the hike; I inspect her ears, belly and underneath the folds of her legs... leg-pits. But today I was rubbing her down to her skin b/c I have recently watched her biting her front legs between her wrist and elbow. I had found several small bumps, like bug bites on us. I got out the flea and tick brush and began brushing her back, and w/in 5 strokes I found three tiny ticks, size of a pin-head. I don't believe they were attached. But this has me concerned of course. I had to leave for work and could not give a full brushing. I will tackle this tonight. She is 7.5 months old. I don't use anything that is not 100% natural from member's recommendations here. But I am lost in how to proceed. I don't think she has fleas as she sleeps in my bed w/ me and I don't have any bites, however maybe they like her more than me and have not ventured off her due to the bumps on her legs and also on her hind legs.

(I have posted this in the natural/raw section too as most of my compatriots here don't venture out of the raw feeding section).

As always I am grateful for the assistance from everyone here.

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ticks / Fleas how to identify and contend...

You must bite the bullet and use Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix. IMO the latter works better on ticks, but the former works better on fleas. That is my opinion.

It sounds like you have no choice. IMO, your dog will Lyme or something from a tick if you don't and then you will regret not using it. Unfortunatly your dog might already have it. I would get her tested in a few month.

The good news is, antibiotics work great if you catch it early.

99.9 % of dogs will not get sick from these products and will live just as long and happier if they don't need to live 10 years with Lyme.

Jackie is offline Senior Member

Because fleas and ticks are so easy to miss on a cursory examination or brush-through, I just do the meds and all my critters are on Revolution. Fleas do prefer dogs and cats to humans because dogs and cats have a naturally higher body temperature, which fleas like. So it is possible for your dog to have fleas and you not to get bitten. I've found that using the flea comb around the base of the tail is the best spot to get fleas and flea dirt to let you know if you have a problem.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...Prevention.php - this site gives a variety of natural insect prevention and treatment options.

There is a product called "Sentry Natural Defense" that is a spot-on (applied like Frontline, Revolution, etc) but is made from natural ingredients, primarily essential oils. I have never used it and don't know its efficacy, though.

Jackie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have tried various natural remedies with zero success. As I have a dog and a cat with flea allergies (mild for the dog, quite severe for the cat), for us, keeping them at bay is essential. So, we use Frontline and I am very happy with its effectiveness. It may not be natural but as I have not found anything natural that works, my pets health is first and foremost and I won't be looking for an alternative any time soon.

I have also never pulled a tick off any of the dogs or cats while they have been on Frontline.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Frontline is the way to go. Even my holistic vet carries it. I belive the smaller ticks are deer tick and they carrie lymes and other stuff.
    Alicia

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Well, I must live on a different planet.....

There was a time overlapping when we had three dogs: LeRoy '84-'95, Lady ? adopted '89-'93, and Talley '91-'99. In Aug. '92 we took a motor home trip with my mother and brought LeRoy along with us; we boarded Lady and Talley locally for two week.

When we got home and picked up Lady and Talley they were badly infested with fleas from the kennel. :scare: We kept the fleas in check by flea combing each dog (fleas deposited in small pan with soapy water in it) and vacuuming at least every day. These fleas never bit us and there were always more fleas on Lady than anyone else.

Lady was helped to The Bridge May'93. About two weeks after Lady died I realized that I was getting no more fleas on the comb! I looked and looked, but there were no more fleas on LeRoy or Talley.

We have not had fleas since. Auggie was 4 years old when Talley died and has never had a flea, even with us going south to the auto races twice a year. I have no explanation for this phenomenon.

The ticks we just live with, they are bad in our county, we live on a farm, and Hubby does woods logging. I should imagine they should be a lot easier to spot on a yellow/light coated dog. Hubby's brother uses a topical on his dog that he brings out here, but quite using it because he saw no difference for two tick seasons and had to look for them and pick them off anyway.

I know this is no help in answering your question, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :whatever:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

The issue as it has progressed today is Tiegan had 40-50 micro ticks, suspect deer ticks. I have collected several in a bag that I will take to my vet for inspection. I bathed her in Ardvark shampoo which is comprised of Neem oil and then sprayed her w/ Ardvark Tick and Flea repellent... a natural product. After combing her thoroughly it appears the ticks are done, but she has an immense amount of welts from all the bites.

I am going to give her some colustrem, calendula and echanecia to help clear up her current condition.

I am going to order some DE to put in the carpet to make sure I am ridding any that may have fallen off. But my poor little girls inside legs and belly is so bad. Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one can hate ticks more than me, no one!

Thanks for all the responses. I am not jumping on the topical preventative just yet. I am going to treat her condition today and do some research on the pros/cons of Frontline and the likes.

Thanks,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Are you sure those are 'micro ticks'?, because when a tick bites the dog, or you, it stays attached. Could those bites be from "no see'ums" (that is a very technical, scientific term ) or even possibly sand fleas? :suspious:
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

They are so small I cannot really get a good look. I am trying to get access to a microscope, but I am almost positive as one had a white dot on its back, about the size of a little seed.
    www.ecboardco.com

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

You would know if they are ticks. You would see the legs and all. Ticks are not that small that you could not make one out. Plus, they would not come off with brushing or bathing. You would have to pull each one off one at a time.

Doesn't sound like a tick to me.

See this...
    http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegall.../deertick.html

However, give your dog some frontline plus and move on...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast