Allergic to nearly every kind of meat!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to nearly every kind of meat!

BJ
    BJ is offline Junior Member

DefaultAllergic to nearly every kind of meat!

We adopted Brady from the Humane Society last January and he was a mess. Skin and bones thin, terrible, smelly, oily skin but the nicest personality. He's now up to a normal weight but his skin problems continue. He was initially treated for bacterial skin infection, yeast infection and cleared up. Unfortunately the skin conditions came back. Licking all the hair off paws, underbelly red and inflamed, rubbing hair off face, ears infected etc. I tried the NZymes systemic yeast system but after 3 months, it didn't seem to help. We had his blood allergy tested and he's highly reactive to almost every kind of meat there is.(Beef being the worst) He's also moderately reactive to fish but not the usual allergens you hear about like wheat, corn or soy. Our vet recommended changing his food to a RX dry kibble that he sells for $83.00 per bag! We currently have him on Eagle Pack Holistic Duck meal and Oatmeal. I've seen a new food in our area from Nature's REcipe that is vegetarian and it uses Soy protein as the protein source. We are due to start allery shots next week. Has anyone else had any experience with something like this? I've read some posts about vegetarian diets and most seem unfavorable but I don't think I have a whole lot of options here. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Allergic to nearly every kind of meat!

NATURAL BALANCE also has a vegetarian food.

HONEST KITCHEN has a diet that allows you to add your own meat.

Have you tried "exotic" meats like rabbit, buffalo, kangaroo, etc.?
    <br />Oregon

brody is offline Senior Member

when you say every type of meat I'm betting you mean beef, duck, lamb, chicken and turkey

was rabbit included in the testing? emu? bison? I know dogs who manage to survive and thrive on all of those that can eat none of the meats listed above

also fish is not all the same - some dogs can't tolerate salmon but are fine of haddock for example

I know dogs who have been fed the veg diets in bags for years and done ok - if it works for you and the dog it works!

I think the trick is going to be finding the thing that works for you (and your dog)

feeding very expensive vet food
    feeding veg diet
    a home prepared diet using an usual meat source

seem to be the best options for you

I have a dog who gets ill on dog food - haven't isolated the why as I'm ok with home cooking for her ...you have my sympathies - it may be a long journey but I'm sure you'll find something that is manageable for you both!

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BJ

Have you tried "exotic" meats like rabbit, buffalo, kangaroo, etc.?
    [/quote]

Would you believe he was tested and reactive to Kangaroo and Rabbitt too? Don't know about buffalo. I can't even give him fish oil supplements due to the fish allergy. I just started giving him Flax seed for the Omegas.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Blood allergy tests are really not very accurate.

I'd recommend that you get him to a dermatologist. True food allergies can really only be determined through an elimination trial.

Best of luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

You could start with this as a basis - NO MEAT, NO GRAIN
    http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/prod...eference.shtml

And then add in your own meat/fish. Maybe there is some type of meat or fish he can tolerate, but is hard to find in dog food. If you can find it at a butcher, then you can add into the mixture above.

Just a thought.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I thought the test that a dermatologist does IS a blood test, where they can actually list all the things that cause problems. I thought that was the most accurate test out there. Elimination seems too haphazard to me to be the BEST thing to do.

At this point, why NOT a vegan diet, it's got to be better than what the poor dog is going through now.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I actually just had an appt with a dermatologist for Peanut, trying to work out allergies. He said to me, "blood tests are a waste of money and time" - that's a direct quote, from the chief derm vet at a prestigious university teaching hospital.&#160;

Best test for food allergies is an elimination diet, best test for environmental allergies is a scratch test.&#160;

Edited because I can't spell.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I actually just had an appt with a dermatologist for Peanut, trying to work out allergies. He said to me, "blood tests are a waste of money and time" - that's a direct quote, from the chief derm vet at a prestigious university teaching hospital.

Best test for food allergies is an elimination diet, best test for environmental allergies is a scratch test.

Edited because I can't spell.
    right there is why I haven't formally tested Sally - with definite food and environmental allergies I really don't see the point in getting guesses that may be less accurate then ours (from living with her) have been
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

BJ

Oh my goodness!.... so much conflicting information. Here is my plan for the moment...Finish the latest round of antibiotic, antihystamine and medicated shampoos and leave-on conditioner. Start the allergy shots next Tuesday.( I am also a Nurse so I can do this at home once I get correct instructions) Finish his current bag of Eagle pack duck and oatmeal, then depending on how he's doing at that point, maybe try slowly switching him to the vegetarian dry food. Sound good?
    All I know for sure is he is the sweetest boy. You can do anything to him and he just trusts you, which is amazing considering where he was taken from. he is estimated to be between 2-3 years old. We are working on all the basic training, which he knows none of. I use his dry food for treats as I can't use my usual motivators like I do with the other Labs ( hot dogs and cheese). This allergy issue is all new to me so I really appreciate all the kind words and support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast